air lock in hot water tap

Roundy#

I'm currently in an apartment block and over the weekend the hot water cylinder emptied in order to fill our bath. Pressure has always been varly low in the apartment. Since the weekend the hot water tap in the kitchen has no flow whatsoever, but the hot water taps elsewhere are fine. I'm thinking there's a air lock in the system.

Any advice for a non-plumber?

I'm also a non-plumber so the following advice comes with strict health warnings!

I had a similar problem and did the following:

1) Cut top off index finger of rubber glove

2) place cut finger tip in a seal around tap

3) Open the non-functioning tap

4) blow into other end of glove

When I did this the pipes began to splutter a bit before the tap flow returned to a strong constant flow.

Again, I must stress that I don't have any plumbing credentials and that this methodology was something that I devised myself. I was guessing that if there was air trapped in my pipes that if I could 'blow' this air bubble back to the tank then it would flow better.

Perhaps some qualified AAM'ers could comment as to whether or not my method should be tried...(I was living in rented accommodation at the time and was a bit more gung-ho about trying out such DIY methods!) :)

Also not a plumber but we've had the same problem a few times ....

If it's a mixer tap, just open the hot tap, place the palm of your hand firmly over the faucet and open the cold tap. This will force water back up the hot tap pipe and into the tank releasing the airlock.

Back