Air Lingus not clear on booking fees with promotion.

Z

z101

I got an email from Aer Lingus for flights to Europe from 9.99 including taxes and charges. I clicked on that was flagged as 39.99 including taxes and charges. When I went to book it gave me a total of 81 Euro. Again it said including taxes and charges (Close enough). When I went to the next page it decided to add a 10€ handling fee after these previous charges bringing it up to over 90€. I then decided NO, as I think this is false advertising. I am sure they were going to add more for CC charge never mind if I decided to bring a bag.
I though this nonsence was outlawed by the EU?? This is as bad as anything Ryanair has done if not worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
The exact same thing happened to me. I couldn't find any flights for 9.99, so i ended up booking with ryanair.

Was glad to get the email telling me of special offers but a waste of their time since there doesn't appear to be any, and if they are then they really shouldn't make it so hard.

Since i didn't continue with the booking i've had about 5 emails from them for various other offers. Something about USA and the rest of europe being on special offer. Didn't bother really looking at it.

Same here. Tried various dates to no avail. It would be good to hear from anybody out there who secured the prices advertised.

I got an email from Aer Lingus for flights to Europe from 9.99 including taxes and charges.
was there not a small print saying on selected flights? that's my experience with them!

When I went to the next page it decided to add a 10€ handling fee after these previous charges bringing it up to over 90€.
handling charges seem to always go seperate (same with Ryanair!)

I am sure they were going to add more for CC charge
I never got charged for using CC on Aer Lingus bookings! As far as I am aware, this is Ryanair tactic. Flew last time 8 weeks ago, no CC charge and luggage is still cheaper with Aer Lingus (depending on route though)

This is as bad as anything Ryanair has done if not worse.
this is really down to point of view, isn't it? To me Ryanair are the worst of the worst but I do agree with the hidden fees or small prints on websites - shouldn't be legal.

I tried to book a flight today on the Aer Lingus website and it kept greying out the low fare option and then telling me there are no low fare flights for the dates I selected. I didn't particularly looked for low fare offers but either way the option was greyed out and no booking possible. Anyone else came across this? :confused:

Yes. I had the same problem so I just gave up. Aer Lingus taxes and charges come in at around €60 constantly each way for two people so you are never going to get a flight cheaper than €120 return for two people. You then add in the cost of the flight plus booking charge and you are at the real starting point of €140 minimum.

Both AL and Ryanair charge card handling fees.

For Ryanair it's 5 euro each way.

Visa Electron - As a special offer to Visa Electron card holders, Ryanair, for a limited period only, will not apply a Debit Card chargeFreeFreeFreeFree

Payment Handling Fee - Per passenger/ Per One Way Flight £5 €5 £5 €5

Here is a copy and paste from Aer Lingus:

Handling Fee

Charges as follows: €5 /£5 per person, per flight. Flights originating in the USA, Infant Bookings and Bookings using Visa Electron are not subject to the handling fee.
^ Back to top

I have just been on to the Advertising Standards about Aer lingus €9.99 including taxes and charges. when I booked the actual €9.99 flights each way, the total came to €93.86 rtn

Advertising standards were not much help. I suggest everyone contact the Advertising Standards make them do something.

Well done for actually finding the 9.99 flights in the first place.

How far ahead did you book by the way?

I was looking at some flights in September today and I got very excited as I need to book the return leg of a flight from Malaga to Dublin and when I looked at the price fas if I was booking a return flight Dub Malaga and Malaga Dublin the return part was 14.99 plus taxes etc but then when I actually went to book just the single part from Malaga to Dublin there were no 14.99 flights it was 42.00 plus Taxes etc. It appears the the promotional fares are only available if you start your journey in Dublin. The above is a bit "garbled" but hopefully you understand what I am trying to get at !!!.
Just a little extra note about the one bag Ryan Air position. My daughter was flying home last wednesday and she had her bag in her case but she had her coat on and the Ryan air man asked her to put her bag in her case and she said that she done that already , then he asked her what she had in her coat pocket!!! She then pulled out her small btl of water which she had been drinking this is the first time I heard that they now will ask you to empty your pockets!!!!!

Just a little extra note about the one bag Ryan Air position. My daughter was flying home last wednesday and she had her bag in her case but she had her coat on and the Ryan air man asked her to put her bag in her case and she said that she done that already , then he asked her what she had in her coat pocket!!! She then pulled out her small btl of water which she had been drinking this is the first time I heard that they now will ask you to empty your pockets!!!!!

Flying home from where? Some airports are worse than others. Maybe we should rate them 1 to 10.

Im trying to book a couple of days in Italy. I cant find any fights let alone one at a special offer. All im getting is no flights available!! one day i could understand but an entire fortnight in october ???

You wont find then now anyway, i've deleted the email but from memory i think you had to book before the 10th June. Not that the date made much difference couldn't find them before either.

I am not even angry at the 9.99 part. My point is 39.99 including taxes and charges should just be that. I dont know what the 'handling charge' of 10 Euro after this again is for, but the point is how can they say 'including taxes and charges' when it doesn't include their handling charge?? Clearly illegal and against the EU ruling, No?

In reply. I booked ahead to November to obtain the €9.99 flights. I also mis-quoted, I contacted the National Consumer Association who were not interested, so I told them to log on to Aer Lingus and try it themselves. I have the website print out with prices etc. which I will send to The Advertising Standards.

Back