Air flow between walls of house

jamesgm

Hi, I just recently moved into a new house and decided to paint a few rooms. I unscrewed the power sockets in the rooms so I wouldn't get paint on them. However when removed I felt a strong flow of air coming out of the opening. This applies to sockets on external & internal walls. Is this normal ? - I think its very strange to have such a strong flow of air within the walls of a house !

Thanks,
James.

It sounds as if your external vent is not piped through to a vent inside. So you get no benefit from the dry lining system. The result could be that parts of the board could be colder than a solid wall.

Thanks Simeon, do you mean the vent grills on the wall in each room?

Thats what I was thinking originally but the air flow is even present on internal walls which have no vents !

James.

Yes I have the same with my house. A good idea is to pump the cavity with bonded beads as cavity walls are notorious for this.

Does anyone know if you can stuff any sort of insulation around the electrical sockets as a temporary measure? What's best to use?

Thanks Simeon, do you mean the vent grills on the wall in each room?

Thats what I was thinking originally but the air flow is even present on internal walls which have no vents !

James.
The internal walls will be studded only as far as the external wall's joist...... then slabbed. So you've got a continual feed of cold air swirling around.

Back