Air Energy and Wood Pellet Stove

footsteps

Ok, building a new home and with the oil 'crisis' that is possibly looming I am rethinking installing OFCH.

1.What I am thinking is the wind thing, where it generated electricity, eg for every 1 KW of electricity it uses it generates 4 KW and this is used so you would constantly have hot water (no need for electric showers for eg), and would heat all the rads. Seemingly it works on same principle of fridge - only that it heats the air and that is circulated.
I really haven't enough info on this, am hoping to meet some one this week to discuss but was trying to get info before meeting.

Q- is there a range that can be run off this system, have my heart set on have an range for heat and cooking in kitchen.
Q - Any one experience or comments on this form of renewable energy?

2. Wood pellet stove(no boiler just to heat room), this is an afterthought in building our house, thinking of putting one of these in to our sun room or sitting room?

Q- do they require a flue or chimney?
Q- are they portable or do they need to be fixed?
Q- any comment?

I know there is alot there and I am doing some pieces of research on web, but time is against me in deciding what we are going to do!!

Thank you,
Footsteps

Q-

Last edited:
footsteps, im confused as to how you are equating wind powered electricity generation to the production of hot water? most electrically powered water heating systems (immersions) are highly innefficient systems.

are you talking about air to water heat pumps??? where 1kw of 'energy' generates 3 kw of 'energy' thus are 300% efficient??

Wood Pellet stoves do need a flue or chimney, which means that they are fixed in place and are not portable. They also require a power supply, so make sure you place a socket nearby.

footsteps, you are indeed talking about air to water or water to water heat pumps, not wind energy.

Depending on your system and who you talk to, it's either a good idea or not a good idea to use these heating systems to also heat your water.

For instance, some installers say that if you are using a heat pump to service an underfloor heating system, it's inefficient to also use the system for your hot water as this water needs to be hotter than the water circulating in your underfloor system (and therefore you need additional power - for which there may be a more efficient source - to bring your hot water to the required temperature).

Some installers say otherwise, and I'm not sure who's right. Personally, I'd consider installing a solar panel to assist with the hot water system.