Air duct in slab for stove

boots

My BER assessor / Energy advisor has informed me that we should put in an air duct in the floor screed which would supply air to the stove, rather than unbalancing the HRV system.
He says if we don't do this then we are obliged under the building regs to put a vent in the wall.

I can see what he says about the HRV system but I would be slow to put a hole in the wall for ventilation.
Also I am a little concerned as to how the air duct will work in practise.

For instance, do you have a little gate or control mechanism on it so that it can be closed when the stove is not lighting?
Otherwise will unwanted cold air simply be entering the house?
Will the duct go to a small grille on the floor or do you run the duct along the wall, after it exits the screed?
I have never seen one in practise and wish to avoid putting in something that I will regret.

My Engineer, while strong on the structural and lets say traditional engineering areas, is not totally up to speed on these kind of issues.

Has anyone any experience of actually installing these air ducts?

cheers
boots

An air duct is required to feed an Air intake stove, if you have MHVR system / want to avoid wall vents. The stove must have an air inlet to connect the duct too.

The duct won't need a little gate or control mechanism on it so that it can be closed when the stove is not lighting, because the stove door will be closed - air in duct will go into stove & up chimney.

Basically its recommended that if you install MHVR then you must not have an open fire or stove, unless the stove has an air inlet duct.

Think I'll bring in the duct using something from the MVHR guys, I don't know the final position of the stove yet so might retro fit it.
I wasn't aware that the duct had to connect directly to the stove, thought that it would vent through a grille set into the floor, close to the stove.

Back