Air Asia Airlines

ciara_gmail

Has anybody flown with Air Asia before? Going to Malaysia next year and they have really good value domestic flights to Langkawi from Kuala Lumpur for 100MYR (approx. €20 - €25) return which is excellent value compared to Malaysia Airlines which is €150 for the same trip.

On Wiki Travel, I read they do very good deals if you book well in advance so I think I'm going to go for it...doesn't bother me if they're the Ryanair of Asia, as long as I get there in one piece and they're reliable enough!

Thanks!

Flew Phnomh Penh to Bangkok with them, crap but cheap. Who cares for a short flight.
I flew KL to Langkawi with Malaysia and paid a lot less than €150 for business class, didn't book online though as they sell cheap tickets on the day at the airport if there are seats available. You might not be able to take the risk though.

The are indeed the Ryanair of Asia ... they consciously model themselves on Ryanair and I think some of their senior management are ex-Ryanair. I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that the Ryan family have some stake in Air Asia as well.

At any rate I believe they have modern aircraft and are run to international standards so they should get you there in one piece alright.

I can testify to that, they did knick my phone out of my bag but it was my own fault for checking it in anyway. Thought it was well hidden!

Flew Hanoi -> BKK with them. Booked a few days in advance online. Found them good for the money - seemed to be a reasonably new aircraft.
One thing to watch - they have a very small luggage/carry-on luggage weight restriction. I saw a group of americans get absolutely fleeced at the check in desk because of this. Check this out on their website. If your carrying a lot of luggage, I would suggest flying with someone else.

Flew from KL to Khota Bharu and back with them and then from KL to Bangkok also. Would definitely recommend them for short flights and as mentioned already you can get even better deals closer to your dates if you are a little bit flexible.

Back