AIB AIB still denying that it did anything wrong!

Megafan

Its really good to have that in the public domain though about the 12 cases. Even if they are settled out of court ultimately.

The other thing I took from it was AIB insisting the writedown was offered in the interest of our stakeholders, while insisting borrowers were not disadvantaged. This is just bizarre because both points appear to be in conflict. When you are explaining you are losing I think.

Last edited:
Its really good to have that in the public domain though about the 12 cases. Even if they are settled out of court ultimately.

The other thing I took from it was AIB insisting the writedown was offered in the interest of our stakeholders, while insisting borrowers were not disadvantaged. This is just bizarre because both points appear to be in conflict. When you are explaining you are losing I think.

This was what I was going to ask them if I got the chance at the AGM. How can they say we were not disadvantaged if we were overpaying our mortgage every single month? But there's a change of culture now, it'll never happen again

It's really very odd but I guess there must be something in the FSPOs ruling that they're basing it on. Nevertheless, by awarding anything they're acknowledging we were impacted/disadvantaged and surely have thrown the doors open to further claims for redress.

As I said in my speech at the AGM:

It's a sign of strength to admit your mistakes. It's a sign of weakness to deny them.

They are only prolonging it by really annoying people who have acted reasonably and who have not been greedy.

Brendan

Back