AIB Online Savings Account

slookie

Can you believe those people at AIB. Have account with them and I mostly use internet banking. I set up an online savings account where only €10 would be transferred from my current account into this online savings account once a week. Now, I get paid in cash so I might not deposit money every week. Just now and then to pay phone bill, credit card online etc. Anyway, the money wasn't in the bank last Friday and they still charged me €10 for non payment of standing order. It was never explained to me that there would be a charge for a non payment, or indeed that it was a standing order. Anyway I got them to leave the account open and I can transfer money into it whenever I want - which is what I thought I had anyway. Just thinking if it was €50 a week, would the fee for non payment be €50? I know its only €10 but still...

Bit annoying alright but it is stated in the documentation:

Unpaid items
• Cheques lodged to your account and
returned unpaid €4.44 per item
• Cheques, direct debits or standing orders
presented on your account and
returned unpaid €10.00 per item

So if it was €50 you were transferring it would be still €10 penalty. A standing order is just that - an order to the bank to transfer X amount at Y time every month. If the cash isnt there you are in trouble.

What you should do I think is to set up the savings account as an online payee and manually transfer the money

Back