AIB Moving 400,000 'Cash Save' Customers to Fee Paying Current Accounts

AIB said the move would "simplify and streamline" its account offerings.

It admitted that many of those who used the Cashsave account for everyday banking could now end up paying fees.

I have a cashsave account from the 1980's college days, I don't need it, it was rarely used lately but now that there is conversion to a fee incurring current account I will axe it.

Last edited:
I have a cashsave ac too but it already has fees on it, probably not as costly though as a current ac.? Like Steiner mine's not used much so just as well to get rid but certainly not to another fee paying current ac.

Got a long circular type letter from AIB saying that my cashsave account is being converted into a personal bank account on 27th july. In the 4th paragraph of the letter it says "credit interest is not a feature of the Personal bank account". A nice way of saying no interest is being allowed.

The customer opened a Cashsave savings account, intending to earn interest, then AIB converts, without customer consent, this into a fee paying account with zero interest. Poor practice.

I got the AIB letter today. As I don't have any direct debits from the little used cashsave a/c or a debit card, they will convert it to a demand deposit account. This suits me as it won't cost me any charges even if I never use the new account.

Slightly different, I had an AIB current account, which I used just to recieve a standing order and then fund my AIB visa card from.
With the changes in fees and such I wanted to convert it to a demand deposit account. Was told no. Would have to close current account and then go into a branch to open a new demand deposit account. I did this in the end.
Quite annoying to hear that AIBcan convert accounts when it suits them.