AIB Maestro card-same as Visa?

I don't think your right there about the non-eurozone transactions. I have provide a quote below from [broken link removed] web page:

I think you are confusing International Non-Euro payments out of your account with Non-Euro Debit Card withdrawals and payments, which is the standard 1.75% ForEx charge.

AIB (ROI) changed their ATM cards to Maestro/ Laser cards. Went to pay for groceries in a few well known major stores in N.I.. The card was not recognised. WHY? If i can use the card to withdraw money in New York, why can't I use my card to pay for purchases outside the ROI???

Perhaps the retailer in question was simply not set up to take Maestro? Some don't - e.g. Lidl/Aldi only take Laser and CCs.

I tried my Postbank maestro card in a few places in NI. Many retailers are simply not setup to accept maestro Sainsburys for example. I would hope in time that this will change.

Apologies for directing a question directly at you and feel free not to answer but is there a specific reason why you have a Postbank account? I can't see any great advantage in it other than for people who might have trouble opening an account elsewhere (I know a few people who fall into this category and who are planning to open Postbank accounts anon).