AIB Ditch 'Cash Back Award' with Platinum Credit Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would appear that AIB have removed the 0.50% cash back on their Platinum Credit Card for annual expenditure over 5,000 EUR.

Today AIB stripped the reward information from their website. It would appear that that the reward offer is now gone.

Tesco now offer the only remaining reward credit card on the Irish market.

It would appear that AIB have removed the 0.50% cash back on their Platinum Credit Card for annual expenditure over 5,000 EUR.

I wonder do they intend to advise their customers, or will this be another usual Irish banking scenario, where the customer gets shafted first and told later ??

Tesco now offer the only remaining reward credit card on the Irish market.
Ulster Bank still has it for existing customers with their yourpoints scheme. You can get various rewards/gifts - one option is a €10 voucher (for Dunnes, M&S, Argos and some other stores) for every 2,000 points - so effectively 0.5% cashback. And it's from first € - no minimum spend to qualify.

I wonder do they intend to advise their customers, or will this be another usual Irish banking scenario, where the customer gets shafted first and told later ??
I'm a customer and have just learnt about it here, thanks to CiaranT.

At least when Bank of Ireland pulled the Amex Blue card they wrote giving a whole fortnight's notice.

I wonder how this will play out for existing cardholders. Surely cancelling this cashback scheme mid-term would constitute a significant alteration of the [broken link removed], which mentions two months' notice? Unless they reckon they can legally get away with less... (or that at this stage legality has become an outmoded concept in the world of banking).
Maybe they'll just let individual cards run on until the next 'anniversary' (the date of opening the account, which is the start date from which they calculate your cashback entitlements after you've run up €5K) — and decline to renew them after that. Either way, I'll be happy to take elsewhere the last bit of custom that I was still giving to them...

I'll be happy to take elsewhere the last bit of custom that I was still giving to them...

Likewise Doc, but I see them as a small bit better than BoI, but not as good as UB. I'm going to ask them in the morning re the cashback and will report back here.

Thanks for the advice. I just now see a notification of changes of T&C's when I log into online banking. Time to change cards methinks.

Can I ask has this been confirmed? I note from this link: [broken link removed] the following message is clearly on display.

Features:

- Cash Back Awards

The Platinum Visa Card includes a special offer of 0.5% cash back, on purchase spends over EUR5,000 (refunds excluded) (maximum EUR50,000) in a 12 month period. The cash back awards are calculated on a monthly basis and credited to your account on the statement date each month. Applies from the date the account is opened, and at the end of each 12 month period the offer will restart. Terms and conditions apply. For more information please view the Platinum Visa Terms and Conditions link.

I just now see a notification of changes of T&C's when I log into online banking.
That seems to concern only the T&C of their online/phone banking services...
The updated documentation doesn't mention anything about the Platinum VISA card.

CiaranT, if you don't mind, where did you hear about this? The link kimmage provides did link yesterday to a blank page with just the word "null" at the top, but it seems to have been restored now...

Maybe I'll continue to avail of their largesse for a little longer!

As mentioned last evening, I tried to contact AIB card centre to verify this point, and after speaking with somebody who didn't have a clue I was left holding, left holding, left holding until my patience ran out.

I hate the AIB website !!!

Yesterday, as per this page from ChangeDetection.com, AIB removed the details on the reward that they offered with their Platinum Card. They replaced the reward with the words "null".

Today, again as per this page from ChangeDetection.com, AIB have added the reward back on to their website.

Sorry for the confusion. I incorrectly trusted AIB to update their own website correctly and incorrect thought that that the word "null" meant no reward.

Clearly, AIB cannot be trusted to updated their poor website correctly.The reward appears to still be in play.

Status
Not open for further replies.