AIB cancels free Travel Insurance on Credit Cards

Starbuck

I just noticed I have an email from AIB, issued on May 22nd, entitled "Changes to your AIB Credit Card".
The text reads as follows:
Withdrawal of Personal Accident Travel Insurance
Effective from 24th June 2013, Free Personal Accident Travel Insurance will be withdrawn from your credit card.
This cover is currently provided on all credit cards free of charge. This cover is not provided on AIB World Signia MasterCard and AIB Student MasterCard.
Free Personal Accident Travel Insurance for Gold and Platinum credit card customers is provided by Ace European Group Limited.
For all other credit cards, Free Personal Accident Travel Insurance is provided by AIG Europe Ltd (formerly Chartis Europe Limited).
The continued operation of your AIB credit card after 24th June 2013 will be deemed to confirm your acceptance of these changes and no further action is required by you. These changes do not in any way affect your entitlement to cancel your card, without charge, subject to the payment of all sums owing at that time including interest, government stamp duty, fees and charges accrued at date of closure.
What is not clear from this email is if they are going to continue the Travel Insurance as a 'paid for' extra, or if it will simply be cancelled.
Since they don't ask if you want the Insurance, I think it would be very sneaky of them to simply apply a charge now for it - without even telling you how much it will be! There seems to be no 'opt out' offered except to cancel the card.
Anyone know what they're up to?

I just noticed I have that same email. At first glance I assumed the providers themselves were going to offer it to us an an option cost but as you point out it's not very clear. Why mention cancelling of the card if they were not going to actually add a cost.

Back