AIB Bond

C

Cuticus

Hi all,

I invested €18k in an AIB Bond in 1997, latest valuation shows it reached just over €20k. What galls me is that I had considered at the time simply buying AIB shares, my value would have more than doubled, but I was too scared. Anyway lesson learned, I'm now considering encashing and buy AIB shares instead to have a better return in 10 years time. Is there a better strategy?

I invested €18k in an AIB Bond in 1997, latest valuation shows it reached just over €20k.
What sort of bond? What was growth based on? What sort of capital guarantee? What were the charges? What sort of investment term? Comparing it with the performance of individual shares is most likely meaningless.
Anyway lesson learned, I'm now considering encashing and buy AIB shares instead to have a better return in 10 years time. Is there a better strategy?
Impossible to say without more information about your overall situation - e.g. existing debts/investments, short/medium/long term plans/goals, attitude to risk/volatility, investment timeframe etc. etc. Perhaps you should consult with a good multi-agency intermediary or authorised advisor and get them to do a comprehensive fact find/financial review and recommend a range of possible options to you?

I'm not going to dwell on the past with AIB, no matter how I bark at them for pittyful return it will not improve the valuation. I want to set this money aside for retirement in 15 -20 years time.

It's impossible to say whether or not this return was pityful without more details about the product.

Why not invest the money in a pension and avail of tax/PRSI relief?

Perhaps you should consult with a good multi-agency intermediary or authorised advisor and get them to do a comprehensive fact find/financial review and recommend a range of possible options to you?

ClubMan, is there a directory of multi agency intermediaries or authorised advisers? or other reliable source that at least weeds out the main tied agents?

J2K

See the S.31 Register in the Key Posts section, or contact the Financial Regulator directly.

Back