AIB board members to resign

Ancutza

You know, sometimes I really do look at the state that has become of Ireland and I wonder what little hope is there ever to be of accountability in our society?

I say that as an ex-pat who feels, on one hand, terribly sorry for what has happened in Ireland over the last decade and, on the other hand, guilty that I feel happy I'm not there.

Sheehy and Gleeson ride off into the sunset on their retirement plans, crying crocodile tears for the wrongs they commited leaving shareholders, and those who took loans, to pick up the pieces whilst facing no examination, except cursory, as to their own actions. They're not alone in the financial community. What will be the outcome of Anglo or is that now considered to be 'done-and-dusted'?

Fair enough, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for people who over-borrowed or who placed all their eggs in one basket with regards to shareholdings, but isn't it still a national scandal that none of these guys appear to face any likelihood of being called to book? In other juristictions they'd be asked a whole lot more hard questions.

Back