AIB and BoI to merge?

toffblue

Just heard what I thought I'd never hear regarding AIB and BOI in merger talks. Apparently Govt. prompted. Can't believe it myself was wondering did anyone else here anything.

Re: Big 2 Rumour

A source in one of the banks (can obviously say no more than that). I find it very hard to believe on one side of the argument (competition etc) but I can on the other (Govt. worried about the current scenario occuring again and balance sheets not withstanding it).

Just heard what I thought I'd never hear regarding AIB and BOI in merger talks.

A number of years ago they had discussions on merging their IT functions after Soden left...

seems implausible, couldn't see this going through on competition grounds - would have over 3\4 of market share

if it is true, things are much, much worse than anyone has thought!

That's ridiculous. It would have to be really bad for that to be considered.

Clearly they'd have to keep the gold plated brand name "Bank of Ireland" for the merged entity .

Clearly they'd have to keep the gold plated brand name "Bank of Ireland" for the merged entity .
It would certain become true to talk of the Bank of Ireland, as it would be the only one! Who could compete with such a behemoth? I can't see it myself, but then there's been a lot of government action on both sides of the pond I haven't seen coming!