Ahascragh Ballinasloe

N

needhelpsoon

I'm considering moving to Ahascragh with my husband and 3 young children. My grandmother was originally from the area and I've always loved it but I just cant decide whether or not its the right thing to do for my children. We currently live just outside of Naas and have a big mortgage if we were to move we'd no longer have a mortgage and could afford so much more for the kids. Would love to hear from anyone who lives in the area.

Ahascragh is a lovely village but very quiet. I do not live there but have friends that live there. It is less than 40 mins to Galway so you still have shops etc nearby, also Athlone is near. Ballinasloe is going through a change at the moment with bypass etc, a lovely hotel is opening soon though. It is a big change and totally different to Naas and the countryside up there. Check out the houses and schools before you make a decision.....

I am from ballinasloe as you probably have guessed. I know ahascragh pretty well and know some people form there. Its a small community, not much in the way of amenties and will be a big change from Naas. It depends what u are looking for. There are good secondary schools in Ballinasloe, as 1975 has said u are not far from galway but far enough to not want to travel it everyday. People are friendly and still living the country life so if thats what u are looking for, ahascragh is as good a place as any.
Maybe u should consider renting a house in the area for a couple of weeks during the summer to get a feel for the place as I still have a romantic very of summers at my grandmothers houses when I was a kid when the weather was always sunny etc...

There are some good sports clubs in the area especially Caltra Gaa club which recntly won the All Ireland Football Club title

Thank you both for your help. I was down there the last 2 weekends as we kind of decided to go for it but unfortunately now I cant find a house that suits us. We were hoping to be down for school in Sep but looks like that wont be happening for now anyway. Will keep searching if its meant to be the right house will eventually come up. Thanks again!

Back