Aga Splashback: T&G?

Xsue

Hi, I'm installing an aga in my new kitchen. I really want to have tongue and groove on the wall behind it - instead of tiles. Is there any reason why this would be a bad idea (husband dead set against it) most of the splashes from an aga go onto the lids by the way.

Hi Xsue,

I don't agree that all the splashes go on to the lids, I have had one for 15 years and the splash back at the back gets splashed with fat etc, I have tiles. Tongue and grove is a personal choice, I haven't seen it before. The thing I would be worried about apart from the splashes is the heat the wood would expand and contract and lead to splitting. Maybe if it is a new type of aga that you can control the heat this wouldn't be a problem but it can be quite hot around the aga.

Thanks Angela, I'm still pro T&G.....the wood splitting is my husbands gripe, well, what about wood cabinets and worktops?????? I'll ask a carpenter and see...

Thanks Angela, I'm still pro T&G.....the wood splitting is my husbands gripe, well, what about wood cabinets and worktops?????? I'll ask a carpenter and see...

Wood cabinets and counter-tops are unlikely to be subjected to the same extremes of heat as a T&G splash-back behind an AGA, plus work-tops are about three times the depth and density of T&G which is usually a light porous soft wood (pine for example) whereas counter tops tend to be a hardwood (teak, oak, etc.)

Would you consider a T&G splash-back behind a gas or electric cooker for example?

Apart from the issue of T&G warping or splitting, (which it will) in a situation like this, it could also be considered a fire-hazard as it becomes impregnated with splashes of oil and grease from cooking.

Just my 2p's worth.

Can I ask another question on the splashback for an aga, thinking of putting in brick behind Aga and I was wondering does anyone know if we need to seal this with anything or is it fine just to leave the brick as is?

Hi Abbica,

Brick is porous so I think you would need to seal it as any splashes will stain the brick and you will have blotches on the bricks otherwise. Again trying to clean the bricks may be an issue as using detergent may wear down the sealant after a while but if you put a couple of layers of sealant on it should do the job. I have a brick surround also and then for the splash back I have it tiled.