After Brexit, will the UK seek alliances with Australia and Canada

joe sod

Came across a YouTube video explaining a new possible alliance after brexit called CANZUK, between Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and UK. I have never heard of this before and some of it seems outlandish because of the vast distances between the countries however it cannot be dismissed out of hand. I think the Australians rather than the British seem to be the most keen they want to be part of an alliance because of their isolation in the Pacific and of their deep distrust of the growing power of China in Australia and the Pacific. They are no longer as confident that the US will come to their rescue especially since the isolationism of the Donald trump presidency. Maybe it is just a ruse by the Australians to get the Americans worried especially if their next door neighbours were interested.

With less than 140M people, no one's getting too worried about that yet, and I doubt the US would worry too much about anything Canada might do. It's the English speaking commonwealth countries under a different banner. Would the UK be so quick to jump into an arrangement that sees them lose control over trade and border controls they've just 'taken back'?

I think it was someone here who said that when thinking about trade gravity is a good analogy; size and proximity and the main factors. CANZUK is a pointless notion which ignores the realities of international trade... then again so is Brexit.

I think the Americans would be most worried about it if it ever gained traction, they would make sure Canada stays in the north American trade area predominantly and Canada could not risk alienating its biggest trading partner. As for migration I think Australia and Canada would be much more worried about huge migration flows from the UK, the brexiteers would see it as a bonanza to reduce the population of UK. Actually I think that would be the reason it is a non runner as Australia and Canada are the most restrictive nations with regard to migration, they won't want the excess UK population. I think the whole idea is really about keeping the US engaged in south Pacific and Australia.

I think the Americans would be most worried about it if it ever gained traction, they would make sure Canada stays in the north American trade area predominantly and Canada could not risk alienating its biggest trading partner.

There isn't a hope of this ever getting any traction if it would require any of the parties exiting other agreements. Canada aren't daft enough to compromise a relationship with the US that accounts for ~75% of their exports for a partnership that that accounts for ~3%.

Back