Affordable housing

Hi, have just been reading the thread and am totally confused. I have an application in with Fingal at the moment. They told me I should know within for weeks (its been in 6 weeks already) but I was also told that there are properties availabe and if I'm approved I should be out looking within 8 weeks. So how come some people are waiting 5 years and only offered to see 3 places.
I was told that I could look at & turn down as many as I wanted.

and the whole issue about mortgates has completely thrown me..I though the mortgage was approved by fingal, will I have to try get a mortgage now aswell?
the info they give is very limited. Starting to feel a bit disheartened by it all.

Hi C1.

I got my approval from Fingal 25 days after my interview. They did ask me for further information (credit card bill, lease) on the day of my interview, but I got everything to them 2 days later. I think maybe they meet once a month to approve a batch of applications together – maybe I was just lucky with my timing.

On a side note, I applied to South Dublin Co Co on the same day as Fingal (almost 2 months ago now…) – I have heard NOTHING from them yet.

I think how quick you get offered a view is down to a) how much you are approved for and b) which areas and types of properties you chose on your application form. The lady in Fingal told me that your first offer could come anything from weeks to months after approval, depending on supply, cancellations from other applicants, etc. I know someone in here got an apartment 6 months after approval, and in that period had turned down 2 or 3 other properties.

As for the mortgage: in the Fingal area you take our your mortgage directly from themselves. In other areas (Dublin City Council, for example) you must get your mortgage from a 3rd party.

Don’t get too disheartened, I’ve heard more good stories than bad about the scheme.

Hope this helps

J

Hi, have just been reading the thread and am totally confused. I have an application in with Fingal at the moment. They told me I should know within for weeks (its been in 6 weeks already) but I was also told that there are properties availabe and if I'm approved I should be out looking within 8 weeks. So how come some people are waiting 5 years and only offered to see 3 places.
I was told that I could look at & turn down as many as I wanted.

and the whole issue about mortgates has completely thrown me..I though the mortgage was approved by fingal, will I have to try get a mortgage now aswell?
the info they give is very limited. Starting to feel a bit disheartened by it all.

Yes, we were with DCC not Fingal. Fingal seems to have a different system than I remember when we applied. Also the type of Aff H. We were Part V. Seems theres a lot of differences so I'd say you'll hear a lot sooner than we did! Good luck

Great, thanks guys, that sounds about right I guess.

Hopefully I'll hear something in the next few weeks. There seems to be a lot of properties built and ready to go in Balrotherly, Co. Dublin.

Fingers crossed

C.

Hey All,

I bought an Affordable House with Fingal County Council nearly four years ago now. Fingal CoCo are the most active council as they have the largest landbanks and can build the most houses, this is why when you apply to them it will not take as long as it may with DCC or DLR or SDC.

I have no complaints! I would never have been able to afford a house otherwise and even with the clawback, if I sold my house now I would still clear more that I could ever have saved in the same timeframe so it is a win win situation. I was very lucky to get a house literally in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre and this has added value to the house as the years passed also, there is every amenity possible!

Recently a friend of mine got an apt in Balbriggan and she applied was approved and started living in the Apt all in less than a year so its possible!

Anyway best of luck to you all, Affordable is a great way to go for those of us who just could not have envisaged buying otherwise!

D

thanks Bradfield that gives us hope! Do you know of any other properties coming up in Blanch?

No Probs Fingal,

It looks like there is very little happening in Blanch these days. Around the time I got it there was two estates Castlecurragh and my own estate Hillbrook. I think at the minute with fingal it seems to be Balbriggan, Rush, Lusk, Swords, that area! Not sure if there is anything in the pipeline in Blanch.

There is a new Development of apts called Grove Court which are right beside the fingal coco offices here in Blanch. I imagine that this was county council land and that some of the units there will be available on affordable. If apartment living is what your after then you could not get better than them. They are already built and appear to be ready to live in so they might be worth keeping an eye out for. Maybe if you ask in the Council they might tell you!

Good Luck

D

Bradfield.. I was just wondering before Final Loan Approval, do you have to produce more documents ie. bank statements, savings? Or do you know how they determine what your final loan amount is? Thanks...

If you are buying an apartment for €200k which (I guess) is gonna be worth at least 300k (by todays market) then I dont think you have too much to worry about....

A lead article in todays "Irish Times" notes 30,000 new 'affordable homes' are coming onstream in places like Blanchardstown and Kildare. The condition of the AHS is that if these properties are sold on within the first 20 years after you buy a percentage of the increase in value is payable to the council.......i.e. these properties are not a speculation they are principal primary residence status only.

Fingal,

Yes before you receive final loan approval you will have to resubmit up to date statements for the accounts you had already submitted. So if you are thinking about credit union loans or the like to buy furniture etc wait until you have final approval, I did!!!

Bon Chance!

D

Bradfield..its a bit too late I got a car loan after I got provisional loan approval as I thought that was that! Do you think this will have a big affect- it was €7200 ? We have been saving for the last year, above the required amount €880 a month and pay rent of €400 also.

Fingal,

I would not worry too much as I had a car loan when I got mine, I declared it from the begining and it was not an issue at all. I was really only recommending avoiding other loans if you are really tight financially but you guys sound like you are well on top of it.

I was on my own so would have less earnings than two people so you should be fine! I think they are quiet rational about the whole thing at least in Fingal! At the end of the day worst case scenario you can sell the car and buy another one when you are in your house but I really dont think it will come to that.

Onwards and upwards.

D

We v'got approval from South Dublin Council on 9th of May and we have heard nothing from them as well yet... Their web site propertypath.ie was recently updated and new apartments were added... Does anybody have some information from them?

I've had no joy at all from South Dublin. I sent in my application 2 months ago, have heard nothing since.

Has anyone, gone through the process of applying for the affordable housing in Meath... was just wondering about the time scales involved there, ie how long till you know if you have been approved and how long before you get an offer. Tks.

Back