Affordable Housing in Cork

househunter1

Hi,
Can someone give me some background on the affordable housing scheme. Anyone know of any properties within this scheme in Cork at the moment, and what prices are these properties going for? Whats the salary limit for 2 first time buyers for this?? Is there a huge waiting list?
Thanks

Only thing I would warn you about is that they may well offer you a house you cannot actually afford. That happened to a colleague of a friend last week. She didn't earn enough to get a mortgage with any of the recommended lenders, and they wouldn't allow her to apply for the SOS for the property so she had to pass on it. Seems ridiculous to me to offer "affordable" housing to a below average income buyer that they cannot afford!! It would have made more sense to have suggested she apply for the SOS at the time of application or recommended it as a way around the affordability problem. Otherwise the scheme isn't worth tat and is only providing cheap housing for people who could probably afford to buy anyway (only 20 miles away in a smaller property).

Is it a case that the further out you go from the city the cheaper the affordable housing scheme gets? No? theres a lovely new estate gone up in Buttevant, Co. Cork and 20% of those are affordable and apparently real cheap. John Ryan Auctioneer has them.

Am I correct in saying that cork county council are not setting aside 20% of each new development for affordable housing, is this Part V of the scheme??

Does anybody know if the current Eden development is linked with Affordable housing scheme in Ursaline convent, Blackrock?

are the houses in Shanakiel the ones on the Blarney road ?
there is a big site being cleared up there at the moment.
also on the city council.. they are buying up houses around the city at the moment and i believe there was an ad in the echo on Thursday night looking to rent houses for 20 years from landlords

Back