aerothermal heat pump

kildarebuild

Researching into this - seems that their is nothing positive about this type of energy. I was hoping that someone has used this system for a year or so and has found it favourable.

Thanks

Hi there,

we're about to build a wood frame house run by a company called Eurohouse and they highly recommend aerothermal heat pumps. Apparently, they're very common in Germany where Eurohouse are based.

Could you elaborate a bit about the negative things you've heard about the pumps? I'm getting a bit worried looking at your mail...

Thanks for this!

[broken link removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry dont mean to scare you. Im not that well versed on it. But so far with my research i have come to the conclusion that it is not as highly recommended as geothermal. Despite the fact that it is supposed to be more efficient. Not only cheaper.

we're about to build a wood frame house run by a company called Eurohouse and they highly recommend aerothermal heat pumps. Apparently, they're very common in Germany where Eurohouse are based.

Could you elaborate a bit about the negative things you've heard about the pumps? I'm getting a bit worried looking at your mail...

Negative
1. Higher electricity running costs when compared to Geothermal.
2. Noisy apparently.
3. Not too many people have it so getting an experienced person installing aerothermal pumps would be a little bit difficult. Their is a lot of cowboys out there..

Positive
1. Supposed to be more efficient than geothermal
2. Cheaper since no digging has to be done. Horizontal or vertical
3. Quick to install. Just attach the unit to the house.
4. The irish climate is very suitable for this type of heat pump. wheras in Sweden it would not be since it has freezing temp too much of the time.

Now my turn! Who is doing the aerothermal heat pump for you? and how much is it going to cost?

Planning to see 4 samples of heat pump at the wkd around the country. 2 aerothermals and two geothermals.

Just spoke to Eurohouse, they're using a German company who are apparently excellent and keen to do business in Ireland. Eurohouse's phone no is on their website www.euro-house.com. It might be worth giving them a call to see if they would pass on the details to you.

They've quoted us EUR 9800 as part of the overall building package. The German architect assured us that this system would provide water hot enough to supply underfloor heating as well as bathwater, so this is going to be our only heat source (although we're thinking of having a pellet-stove in the living room as a backup, just in case)

We've decided to go for a turnkey solution to avoid running into problems with cowboys. We've only just moved back to Ireland after 10 years in London, so don't know anybody. Using an architectural firm rather than individual builders is a bit more confidence-inspiring - they only do about 10 houses a year in Ireland so do depend on their reputation. Additionally, I'm German and I know how the German system works so I'm quite happy to trust the German firm...

Let me know how you get on!

Can you give me any idea as to how much your Euro-house is costing per Sq Ft.

Back