Aerolineas Argentinas-Booking as a local

Delboy

Hi,

I'm trying to arrange some internal flights in Argentina through the Aerolineas website and have noticed that if I book them as a local (i.e. picking Argentina as my country of residence) the costs are about 40% cheaper than booking through with the UK as my home country (it's the closest country as they don't have Ireland).

Whats the big issue if I go ahead and book through the argentina page? Will I get stopped from boarding? In any case, the UK is not my home country either. Has anyone been through this?

You can't pay local fares with a non Argentinian issued credit card I believe.

Unless the rules have changed from ~3 years ago it was very hard to get around this - I recall looking into it at the time and concluding that it wasn't possible to avoid having to pay the "foreigner" price

I ca,nt see the problem about paying the charges with a non local card. The fact that Ireland does not come up and you can use GB proves you can use any country you want.
I have travelled between Irl and USA and IRL various European destinations and its worked every time, using my Irish card. So go for it.

Thanks

I reckon they might catch us out when it comes to addresses. I've looked this up on various websites and no one seems to have a way around it. Some people used local travel agencies to arrange it but this too seems to have been stopped.
I've tried to book the flight and got as far as reserving 1. I was'nt asked for CC details or address at this stage.But when I try and find a link that allows me to now go ahead and pay for the reserved flights, I can't !!!! The email they sent does'nt have a link to payment and I can't navigate to the relevant area on the website either!!!
Will give it another go tomorrow

Of course it's not normally an issue and most airlines will let you buy any ticket with any (valid!) credit card ... just in certain cases like in Argentina where there are different fares for foreigners compared to locals on domestic tickets then there are requirements for locally billed cards (They may check this by address or by the first 6(?) digits of the credit card number which identify the issuing bank)

Give it a go anyway Delboy .. my memory is a bit hazy on when I tried it.. but it's about 3 years ago now and there wasn't a way around it on the time on Aerolineas Argentinas ... I think it was possible on "Southern Winds" airline (who I think don't exist anymore). If you can get it booked and get the ticket issued (even if it's an eticket the important thing is it's issued and you get a ticket number) then you should be fine ... worst I guess that can happen would be they'd make you pay up to the full fare at the airport in which case you'd be no worse off.

You just might want to be careful if it's a route with a limited number of heavily booked flights (like down to Patagonia in peak season) as if your booking was messed up on that it could be quite a problem if it was hard to get on another flight.

can you use some other service to pay as a proxy for your credit card ? like paypal or a disposable generic number which you can load with credit which might not give your location away . I ve seen something like that on the web. i just cant remember the web address for it.

found a trevel agent based in BA through another forum.She's well recommended and she says the flights she's booking for me are 100% legit.
About 40% less than we would have paid through the foreigner part of the wesbite on AA.
will let ye know if it works