AerLingus - Whose Credit Card Will The Refund Be Issued To

walsh101

My brother was due to fly back from northern spain on the 8th May, but due to the flight disruptions with the ash cloud it was cancelled. As he was stuck staying with a friend who lives in the middle of nowhere he sent me a text to rebook his flight which I did using his original reference number.
Now the thing is I used my credit card to rebook for him and last week I noticed that the fee appeared on my account so I rang AerLingus to ask for a refund, but so far no refund is appearing on my account. Now it's dawned on me that maybe they will refund his account as that was the one used for the original booking. My brother can't check his account as he doesn't do online banking, so does any know if this is the case. If so how does he repay me as he's broke until he gets paid which won't be till the middle of next month and I don't have the money at the moment to pay this bill ( I have never paid by visa bill late in my life and don't want to incurr any fees)

Why did it cost money to rebook a cancelled flight. I thought it was free.
He should be able to ring his bank and check with them what the last transactions were.
Surely you have a bit more time before the bill is due to be paid.

I thought it was free too, as it said on the refund page that the fee ( which was €100) would be waived but it appears that I was charged. My bill arrived shortly after he came back and its due to be paid by the 12th of this month.

My bill arrived shortly after he came back and its due to be paid by the 12th of this month.
Today is the 24th so I presume you mean the 12th of next month? If so you have three weeks to find out, or for him to come up with the money, so no need to worry just yet. If the money is refunded to his account he can withdraw it from an ATM & give it to you.

Ye sorry I meant the 12th of next month, anyway he rang his bank and he wasn't issued a refund either, so it looks like I'll have to ring Aer Lingus again.

Rang AerLingus again yesterday and was again told that they would issue a refund which should appear by today ( which it hasn't, well not on my account anyway).
Didn't get the chance to ask which account, mine or my brothers as when I asked her name, she would only give her first name and when I asked for a surname she just hung up on me, so end of conversation.
So back to my original question which account will they issue the refund or has anyone else had trouble getting a refund.
Another thing I have noticed is that in order to ring them its an 0818 number which actually makes money for them,so are they trying to generate money by making people ring them several times about refunds or am I just being paranoid.

If the refund was issued yesterday, it could take up to five working days for it to appear on either of the accounts, but will probably be there within three. The refund might already have arrived, but most online banking systems will only show credit card transactions up to close of business on the previous day, so you really should try to stop panicking until at least Monday.

Thanks for the replies papercut, brother rang his bank today and no refund either but as you say it may take serveral days. I guess I'm not really panicking I'm just one of those people that like my accounts in order and hate seeing things that shouldn't be there.

Back