Aerlingus to follow ryanair in charging for bags

shnaek

[broken link removed]

Looks like Aerlingus - the airline that thinks for itself - is going to follow Ryanair and charge passengers for checked in bags.

Tbh, low cost travel is really now low cost in name only. Between the various little grabby charges, levies, taxes, supplements etc., it is now got to ridiculous stages.

Thankfully I read recently that EU Commission have had enough of the smoke and mirrors that airlines use for airfares and will have to advertise the all-inclusive price and stop the messing.

With regard to Aer Lingus. Is short-haul defined as all routes except USA/Dubai? . Given that the Canary Islands is a four or five hour flight, is that short haul?

tallpaul said:
Tbh, low cost travel is really now low cost in name only. Between the various little grabby charges, levies, taxes, supplements etc., it is now got to ridiculous stages.
?

Sounds like the Irish Tax system. Low income tax yeah, but then the add-ons start mounting on...

Hope they start charging by body weight soon.

I agree, maybe combined weight of traveller and luggage, and air fare computed by Kg, would be the most equitable of all.

We recently booked with Ryanair to go to Marseille, for 3.99 euro each way...but with airport taxes and add-ons like the luggage tax, it came to 65 euro each way... it's still very cheap travel, but I think they should have to display price with all or at least most of add-ons... they could certainly add on the airport tax to the sale-price as that doesn't change and any other taxes that will apply to all seats.

Aer Lingus's hand baggage weight limit is 6kg. Ryanair's is 10kg. That's qiute a difference. I haven't noticed anyone in the media pointing that out yet.
The lightest, smallest wheeled suitcase containing a change of clothes, pair of shoes and a few toiletries comes easily to 6kg. In Edinburgh, Servisair check-in staff for Aer Lingus frequently ask to weigh your hand luggage and then tell you to check it in if it's a gram over 6kg. I can see that turning nasty if they then start trying to charge €8 per bag at the check-in. I guess with self-service check-in in Dublin, it's unlikely that hand baggage would be weighed.

I half heard an Aer Lingus rep on Newstalk yesterday, and he said that they are currently defining what is 'hand luggage', and what weight, ie can a laptop plus a carryon bag constitute 1 piece, should handbags count... so they are planning on setting the definitions soon.

I guess with self-service check-in in Dublin, it's unlikely that hand baggage would be weighed.
No. We were unlucky, and some bloke came over to us when we were doing the self-service check-in. We had to measure our cabin bags and then check them on.

Keep a look out for staff hovering around these self-service check-in areas under the guise of 'helping you to use the system'.

Have aerlingus reduced the weight limit for carry on baggage to 5kg?

I heard the Aer Lingus commercial director say quite clearly on RTE radio 5-7 live yesterday that the hand baggage limit is 6Kg and that a handbag or laptop does not count as hand baggage. He said they were reviewing their whole service but he didn't say specifically that they were considering increasing the weight limit for hand baggage. Hopefully they will. As soon as people find out how little 6kg really is and realise that Ryanair allow 10kg, they may have to.

Well Dermot Manion has been proved to be lying. He said that AL would never introduce a baggage charge. Oh well.

As regards to hand baggage some people just seem to be taking the piss. People take so much carry on that they can't put it into the overhead bins. About time something is done about it.

As regards to hand baggage some people just seem to be taking the piss. People take so much carry on that they can't put it into the overhead bins. About time something is done about it.

I always try to only take on hand baggage.

I stuff as much into my carry on bags as possible. The reason for this is that checked on luggage can get lost and damaged. (It seemed to happen quite frequently to me.)

On a related note, why isn't duty free weighed?

Some people definitely take a ridiculous amount of hand luggage. Aer Lingus's limit has been 6kg for as long as I can remember. Of course the size should small enough to fit easily in an overhead bin but the tiniest suitcase with wheels is typically a couple of kgs. Here's an example of a Cellini lightweight one:
29cm x 40cm x 18cm = Total 87cm
Weight: 2.68 kgs
So that's 3.32 kg of luggage which isn't very much. The allowance should be based on size alone.

BA's policy makes much more sense:

- passengers will be able to carry one standard-sized bag and one briefcase, laptop computer bags or equivalent on all flights.
- the maximum size of the bag, 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in) has been set in line with the UK Department for
- Passengers must be able to lift their bag unaided into the aircraft overhead locker.
- Briefcases, laptop computer bags or equivalent must fit under the seat in front.

Hopefully common sense will be prevail and they will introduce something like that.

Back