Aerlingus doubling price standards for flight change option

N

nahgoe

I am wondering if anyone knows if what I encountered tonight is standard and/or allowed airline practise:

I have an Aerlingus booking: 2 people flying (low cost option) return Dublin - Milan (Wed - Mon). Both will take the outward trip.

Person A has decided to stay on a few days in Italy and the easiest/only option, given it is a single booking, is to book another cheap single (Bologna - Dublin) for the following Thursday. Straightforward here, no real other alternative, and the little money that was spent on Person A's original return is lost.

Person B now wants to fly back to Dublin on Saturday. If I want to change his return flight I have to change date for Person A & B's return flights as they are on a single booking - while this is annoying, it is they way things work nowadays.

To avoid paying over €110 for 2 person date change plus an extra €20 for the increase in flight costs I buy Person B a new single from Milan Linate to Dublin for the Saturday for less than €60.

All this is clear and above board; they have their rules and regulations, while I minimise my expenses, even if it means two empty seats on the original Monday return; I presume they won't give me anything if I ring them up and let them know the seats will be unoccupied and they can resell if so desired??

Anyway the issue over the double standards in pricing refers to when booked the Milan Linate - Dublin single for Person B. It cost €24:99 net, and informed me there were only 3 seats at this price remaining.

I realised that when, only a few minutes before, I had tried to manage my booking and change the dates of the original Monday return to the exact same flight I was told it cost €34:99 net.

I rechecked these prices more than once by going through manage my booking and then a fresh single trip for the exact same flight and the manage my booking price was always €10:00 dearer. Why? Because if you want to change bookings they feel they can make a few quid extra off you.

In my case I had another cheaper option, as the flights are in April and prices are still low.

I would have imagined the market rules would enable the customer to manage their booking and change to the current seat rate, wouldn't you?

A bit long winded I know, sorry!

I would love to hear who I could contact about this, it can't be right.

Any opinons or suggestions would be appreciated.

I even took screen shots of the price variations!