Aer Lingus vs. Ryanair

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Anyone fancy doing a Key Post summary of a comparison of the major airlines?

I have just been very frustrated trying to check in online on Aer Lingus. One can only check in within 30 hours of the flight.

They have a new advanced check-in facility, but in seat selection, all seats had a surcharge which effectively means you have to pay to check in more than 30 hours in advance.

Anyway, it would be useful to have a comparison of the main airlines for example

Baggage allowance
Aer Lingus seems to be more flexible
Ryanair impose a strict one bag limit and have been known to charge for handbags as extra.

Aer Lingus uses Terminal 2
Which is much quicker and more pleasant than Terminal 1

Online check-in
Ryanair allows check in anytime withing 30(?) days of flight?
Aer Lingus allows check in only within 30 hours, so it's often not possible to check in the return flight.
Aer Lingus have an advanced check-in but you have to pay for seat selection - at least €5

Is it possible to speak to someone if you have a problem?

Can a flight be changed?

Comfort of airplanes

Ryanair are always trying to sell you something, lottery cards, phone cards etc.
Aer Lingus isn't as bad.

Non-online checkin
Aer Lingus have machines in Dublin and a lot of European airports which allow you to self checkin and select your seat on the flight.

I had purchased flights to Faro and paid for my seat selection not at the time when I purchased the tickets but nearer to my flight time. Portugal is one of the destinations where you can avail of advance check-in. However when I tried to check in more than 30 hours before my flight I couldn't. I had to wait until I was within the 30 hours before I was able to do so even though I had paid for my seat selection.
It might have been something to do with the fact that I purchased my flights and seat selection at different times. This was in March just gone.

Back