aer lingus vouchers

V

vaun222

I decided today to buy my brother an aer lingus voucher to fly to see his son in America. My young son also bought him one. When I went to gift vouchers on their site it was pretty straightforward. You picked which currency you wanted. As I live in Northern Ireland and was using my bank card, I opted for Sterling. It was very efficient. The emails telling him of my £350 and my son's £25 reached him in 15 mins or so. He has not been well and they really lifted his spirits UNTIL he tried to book his flight. He was told categorically he could not fly out of Dublin as the vouchers were not in Euros! They said he would have "to go somewhere else" or fly to Gatwick and originate his flight to Orlando from there!!! They said it is stated on the website. Well I have gone through the gift vouchers section with a fine tooth comb and can find no such condition. He only travels to America, but I said no matter, I would get another voucher and my son and his French girlfriend could use the Stg one.....you guessed it! Only the beneficiary can use them!! I travelled to the US 3 times last year with Aer Lingus. When I booked online they give you the euro total but ask if you would like to pay in STERLING!! Funny that when you're paying! I used to tell my friends..Don't book Ryanair, they are so devious. Use Aer Lingus! Well Michael O'Leary could learn from the powers that be at Aer Lingus. But I AM going to follow this up. Legally they are on very thin ice! Any thoughts anyone?

That's terrible customer service. I'm surprised and disappointed to hear that. Have no advice to give you on this one but would really recommend you fight them on it. Trouble is, it's very difficult nowadays to actually talk to anyone in Aer Lingus. Good luck with it

If you cannot get a straight answer re the small print, try airing this with the various radio commentators. They wield a lot of power. No firm likes bad publicity. Good luck.

Unfortunately, its there in the FAQs....
Are Aer Lingus gift vouchers sold in specific denominations?

Gift vouchers are available in EUR, GBP and USD in the following denominations: 25, 75, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 350, 400, 450, 500, 750 and 1000. Vouchers can only be redeemed against bookings in the currency of issue.

If they allow you to pay in sterling (ie:book in euro with option to pay sterling) should you then not be able to pay that amount with the voucher, ie: go through the process to book, ask to pay sterling, pay sterling voucher?

Rather than spend money on lawyers who tend to gain whether you win or lose, perhaps your local trading standards office in Belfast (028 9025 3900) could advise.
Its a free service and ,frankly, if they say that EI were clear in their conditions then there is no point in taking it further.

Back