Aer lingus take over by ryanair

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazermc

So it appears from todays news that the aer lingus board has formely rejected the offer from ryanair. What i want to know is can the deal still go ahead or does it require the approval of the board. AFAIK the shareholders can accept the offer despite the oppisition of the board

anybody know the actual rules. BTW not a shareholder just curious
cheers

He is free to buy up any remaining shares that are held by indivuals etc.
If he gets 51% he would have control of the company. But it would be impossible for him to get the required amount to force a compulsary sale of the remaining shares.

And it seems the anti Ryanair coalition (Government, employee trust, pilots pension, pilots own cash, Denis O'brien, etc) have close to half the shares and won't sell. So it won't happen.

Makes you wonder can this be defined as a "floated" company if most of the shares aren't for sale in any circumstances, and the company says there are no circumstances in which they would recommend selling to a particular purchaser, no matter what sense the offer price made........

I think the pilots are being very foolish with thier pension funds.
If Ryanair withdraw this offer I'd imagine the vallue of those shares wouls drop.

Price is likely to drop when/if offer is no longer to be.
The Pilots "foolishness" is only short term........a pension fund of this nature is not about share value in the 1st month after floating but a longterm.

Moderator note: speculation removed -

Makes you wonder can this be defined as a "floated" company if most of the shares aren't for sale in any circumstances, and the company says there are no circumstances in which they would recommend selling to a particular purchaser, no matter what sense the offer price made........

Even if Ryanair fails they will have succeeded in making Aer Lingus far less attractive for any other airline to takeover. Perhaps this was the aim all along?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back