Aer Lingus price differences compared to other airlines

elefantfresh

Looking for flights to San Diego in September. Aer lingus are looking at about 1200e give or take, Dublin-LA-San Deigo and back. Did it last year for 650e with Aer Lingus - so whats their story? Logged onto American Airlines and booked the same journey for 750e which actually is the same flight number from Dublin to LA!! Its the same plane!! Whats the deal with Aer Lingus charging almost double?

Re: Aer Lingus con

There will always be a mug out there willing to pay the €1200. You did your research and got a better price. Well done. Who knows there may be someone else who might get it cheaper again than even you did. Like everything you buy you really have to have your wits about you these days.

The Aer Lingus prices fluctuate quite a bit... keep shopping around.

Yeah - most airlines' prices fluctuate. To describe this as a con doesn't make much sense. If they quoted you one price but charged a higher one then that would be a con.

Alright Clubman, perhaps the word "con" is not 100% correct but i think you see the point I was trying to make. Charging almost double what another airline is charging for the same flight. Its certainly a bit of a......erm....not sure what word to use here ;o)

Maybe the Aer Lingus flight is almost fully booked or there is something on at that time? My opinion is they can charge what they want...and you voted with your feet

Orbitz.com is quoting a fare of $886 incl. taxes from Dublin to San Diego return via Philidelphia in September on US Airways - that's €656 return at $1.35 to €1

You would have probably got it for e100 cheaper if you went via LHR.
The problem with that is that you then don't pre-clear immigration, which means an extra wait in the queue when you get to the US. We had a flight to Miami once via CDG, and spent about 3 hours in the queue for immigration. If we'd flown direct form Dublin, we would have had an extra 10 minutes or so clearing immigration at this end. How much is avoiding that queue worth to you?

Just to say - I booked through Orbitz before and then had to change flights (was willing to pay, etc). Their customer service was dreadful, on hold for over 2 hours, condescending. Kept being transferred to different people. Was told I had to change the flights with the airline not them. Airline said they couldn't change it because had booked through Orbitz. Phonecalls totalled over 4 hours by the time I had it sorted.

Try ringing AL. I was booking flights to San Diego and there were no return flights available but I could book what I wanted as two one way flights. Rang AL and got the flights as a return ticket at a cheaper price than booking the two singles.