aer lingus make you redundant and then give you your job back

johnwilliams

this make you redundent and then maybe give you your job back option i cant understand please explain. what would they save by doing this .if they are successful in doing this option will this mean every other company in ireland will follow suit and we will all become redundent bit worried by this development

They make you redundant and then re-employ you on different terms and conditions - eg lesser salary, lesser pension contributions, no unsocial hours/shift allowances etc

The company benefits, the employee gets a nice severence and you the tax payer pays for most of it from your paye/prsi

This is the infamous Irish Ferries model where the Irish taxpayer (you and me) paid to make Irish seafarers redundant so Irish Ferries (a British company with ships registered in Cyprus) could hire (primarily) eastern European staff at low rates of pay.

I think they may have one Irish captain on the payroll. This company is now referred to by truckers as "Polish Ferries".

I watched the Plank Plank Show tonight to see how Mick O'Leary would acquit himself and I think he sounded plausible - businesslike, restrained and credible.

If Ryanair have so much money and nobody wants Aer Lingus as O'Leary was saying, then why don't Ryanair just buy a load of 747's on the cheap and go transatlantic?

Back to the OP - I suppose if Aer Lingus can re-employ the staff they want then they don't have to fork out on recruitment costs.

If Ryanair have so much money and nobody wants Aer Lingus as O'Leary was saying, then why don't Ryanair just buy a load of 747's on the cheap and go transatlantic?...

Maybe because the 747 is no longer the weapon of choice for long-haul operators?

But he also said that Ryanair have an appropriate fleet on order and they will go transatlantic, with or without Aer Lingus, who according to the bould Mick are much too small to provide Ryanair with the transatlantic fleet they need for expansion.

I thought that legislation to prevent this happening again was to have been enacted by December ?

If Ryanair have so much money and nobody wants Aer Lingus as O'Leary was saying, then why don't Ryanair just buy a load of 747's on the cheap and go transatlantic?

eh? If anyone knows how to run an airline it's O'Leary. You can second guess him all you like but I'd let his record stand for itself.

I thought that legislation to prevent this happening again was to have been enacted by December ?

and there is no recession, the HSE works, we won't have a mini-budget, blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda (Biffo-speak).