Aer Lingus have my location as Texas on their Webpage?

Laramie

On a regular basis, on the Aer Lingus website when I log in, their webpage shows me as being located in Austin Texas.
I change my location to Ireland, Dublin. It lasts for a short while then reverts back to the USA.

Ryanair have me located in London...despite having an Irish flag in the corner.

Any Thoughts?

Are you logging in from a home network, a work/organizational network, a VPN etc.?
Sounds to me like IP geolocation may be identifying your location as somewhere other than your physical location (https://www.whatismybrowser.com/).
In which case it's most likely due to the network/routing setup.
E.g. sometimes when I log into sites from my work network or VPN sites think that I'm in the US rather than Ireland because of the way that the network is configured.

Many websites use geolocation, your location as provided by your internet service provider, to localise content to the country or region they think you're in.

The a site such as iplocation.net/ to check where your IP address is reporting to be.

Last edited:
Yes. Just logging in from my home. Most times it's O.K. except for Ryanair which seems to have me in London 60% of the time. Aer Lingus is about 30% of the time. I use a VPN occasionally but it is only switched on for when I download shows like Laramie :)

Laramie.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt1YtA7RG5E

It'll likely be the VPN so, that will route your traffic over a private connection through the VPN provider's network and spit it out to the internet in another location.

Most of the biger Irish internet providers use fixed ranges of IP addresses that will be geolocated to Ireland, some of the smaller ones may not, or perhaps may have taken over an IP address range that was used be someone else in the recent past and the registries haven't caught up with the change yet.

you must be worn out with all that travel and jet lag ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the exact same issue with the Aer Lingus website as the OP (no longer an issue). I did not have any geolocation issues with other websites so it seemed to be an Aer Lingus website specific issue. I was accessing via my home Virgin Media connection without a VPN.

It's as if the Aer Lingus website defaults to Austin Texas when it cannot determine your location or something like that.

I don't think it's anything to do with a VPN. I had the same problem as the OP and I'm pretty sure it was after I flew British Airways to Atlanta to see the solar eclipse last year, and booked Aer Lingus one way from the States via Boston. They kept sending me promotions about cheap winter trips to Ireland etc. For some reason though it's gone back to normal again.

They kept sending me promotions about cheap winter trips to Ireland etc. For some reason though it's gone back to normal again.

If they're sending you offers via email then it's likely based purely on what they have about you and your purchasing habits in their offline records. They seem to default to offers from the last airport you flew out of.

Back