Aer Lingus flight: was unable to travel, any hope of comeback?

C

Cowzer

Interested in opinions on this, doubtful that I have any comeback, but here goes….

I booked a return flight with Aer Lingus to New York a few months ago but the night before I was due to travel a close member of my family was hospitalised so I chose to put off the trip.

I wasn’t at home that night (ie I was in the family home) so had no access to the confirmation number I needed to change the dates on the Aer Lingus website. Instead I emailed Aer Lingus (that night) to explain the situation and to ask if it would be possible to use the flight at a later date.

In hindsight I should have phoned them next morning but I had enough on my mind and I felt confident that the email would suffice. My mistake.

I got a standard reply from them a few days later repeating their policies about this kind of thing, ie because I didn’t turn up for the flight and didn’t change the dates in advance that was that.

I emailed them again, said that I understood and accepted their policies, but I detailed the circumstances and simply asked for some good will, particularly as I am a regular flier with Aer Lingus for work reasons. I wasn’t looking for a refund, just the chance to use the flight I had paid for at a later date.

I also stressed that I had emailed them in advance of the flight to explain why I couldn’t change it on their website. And, also, I told them that I could provide proof that my family member was hospitalised that night (which led, a week later, to him being diagnosed with a terminal illness, so I was hardly making it up).

A few months later I’m still waiting for a reply to that email!

I let it go, I feel sure that I have no comeback (no insurance), but it’s started to bug me again, particularly their failure to reply to my detailed email.

Should I just forget about it or do you think there is any point in contacting them again?

Opinions appreciated, thanks.

Usually you would claim a refund for an event like this off your insurance so if you didn't have any in place, I don't think you have any comeback with the Airline directly. Hindsight is wonderful but e-mailing probably wasn't the right thing to do. Hopefully someone else can tell me I am wrong though.

Think you should be allowed to a refund of the tax paid on the flight and I would also push for a refund on the fuel surcharge.

Cowzer,
Do'nt let it bother you.
Put it down to experience.
Aer Lingus are in the business of making money. An empty seat is no good. They could end up with a whole plane load of empty seats if they allowed customers to ring up or e-mail the day before wanting to change their travel arrangements. As it is a lot of the longhaul flights are half empty anyway.
It is very unlikely that anyone in Aer Lingus even read your e-mail within a few days of getting it, due to staff shortages etc.

Rgds
Billo

have travelled myself longhaul a few times this year and am yet to experiece a "half full" aerlingus longhaul flight. But thats just my experience

Thank you everyone! Well, if I've learnt anything from the experience it's that when I next pay E200+ for a flight I'll also buy insurance :eek:

Yeah, I'll probably just have to let it go, just very taken aback by how poor their customer relations are. I accept that they're probably understaffed but I don't see the point in them providing an email address for customers when they don't appear to read them....and certainly don't reply to them!

Feeling a whole lot less loyal to them than I did before, but we live and learn. Thanks again for your replies.

Thank you everyone! Well, if I've learnt anything from the experience it's that when I next pay E200+ for a flight I'll also buy insurance :eek:

Yeah, I'll probably just have to let it go, just very taken aback by how poor their customer relations are. I accept that they're probably understaffed but I don't see the point in them providing an email address for customers when they don't appear to read them....and certainly don't reply to them!

Feeling a whole lot less loyal to them than I did before, but we live and learn. Thanks again for your replies.

Cowzer,

I presume you had travel insurance, while travelling to the US.
I would never travel there without some travel insurance, especially nowadays when insurance is relatively cheap.
Anyway I do'nt think that travel insurance would cover the above eventuality and you would still be out of pocket.

Airline customer relations had to suffer once fares were reduced(due to competition and public demand) to todays levels. As you say we live and learn.

Rgds
Billo

Cowzer,

I presume you had travel insurance, while travelling to the US.
I would never travel there without some travel insurance, especially nowadays when insurance is relatively cheap.
Anyway I do'nt think that travel insurance would cover the above eventuality and you would still be out of pocket.

Airline customer relations had to suffer once fares were reduced(due to competition and public demand) to todays levels. As you say we live and learn.

Rgds
Billo

Any travel insurance policy I have had always covered the inability to travel due to the death or illness of a close family member. As far as I know, it is pretty standard cover. May be wrong though.

More important I think is in the event of a medical emergency. Wouldn't like to have to pay for a visit to a US hospital. If you already have VHI/Bupa, you can get annual multi-trip insurance for a relatively low amount. Should be able to find something in this key post

Back