Aer Lingus check-in delays at Heathrow

PMU

I don’t know if this is a normal problem or not, but last Monday at 09:00 I queued for 1 hour to ‘drop’ my check-in luggage at the Aer Lingus desk in Heathrow terminal 1. They had two girls on the desk, one looking after flights to Dublin and one to other destinations. The queue stretched back to the end of the shops when I joined it. Every so often a guy would run up the queue shouting ‘Shannon’ and would drag those flying to Shannon out of one queue and into another. There were no signs saying which queue was for Dublin and which wasn’t. Then the girl checking in the Dublin flights disappeared and the guy had to take over and operate the check-in, so no-one was controlling the queue. By the time I’d dropped my bag the queue stretched right back to the elevators at the end of the terminal. I don’t know if this is normal or not, but if you are checking in baggage with Aer Lingus at Heathrow you might wish to allow sufficient time to do this.

Re: Aer Lingus check-in delays at Hathrow

I don’t know if this is a normal problem or not, but last Monday at 09:00 I queued for 1 hour to ‘drop’ my check-in luggage at the Aer Lingus desk in Heathrow terminal 1. They had two girls on the desk, one looking after flights to Dublin and one to other destinations. The queue stretched back to the end of the shops when I joined it. Every so often a guy would run up the queue shouting ‘Shannon’ and would drag those flying to Shannon out of one queue and into another. There were no signs saying which queue was for Dublin and which wasn’t. Then the girl checking in the Dublin flights disappeared and the guy had to take over and operate the check-in, so no-one was controlling the queue. By the time I’d dropped my bag the queue stretched right back to the elevators at the end of the terminal. I don’t know if this is normal or not, but if you are checking in baggage with Aer Lingus at Heathrow you might wish to allow sufficient time to do this.

Sounds like a normal day at heathrow to be honest!!

Re: Aer Lingus check-in delays at Hathrow

I had the same problem flying from CDG at Paris on Monday night. it was the same scenario - two girls checking in a full flight. CDG is one of the most inefficient airports in Europe.To be honest they were not helped by an extended family who seemed to be carrying two tons of carry-on luggage and whose time consuming check-in and subsequent excess baggage calculation entertained the queue behind them. When they got on the plane, they took up most of the overhead luggage in their section of the plane!

You have to admire how well Dublin Airport works. We flew out to Paris a week earlier, arriving at 06:00 to check in. We counted at least 500 people in the check-in queue and we thought we would miss our flight at 7:00. However, there were eight Aer Lingus girls catering for the queue. They were superb! In fact, the queue wasn't moving fast enough for them! It was the same at security after checking in. We Irish are good at a lot of things.

Another funny aside. When we were waiting at the taxi rank outside arrivals on our return, one brazen middle aged couple ignored the queue and walked up on the outside of the perspex fronted shelter housing us and the rest of the queue. They ignored the hammering of all of us on the perspex, flagged an approaching taxi and sailed off into the night! Foreign touruists ahead of us in the queue were not too impressed!

Yeah, we Irish are great alright: only country I know where you frequently have to queue at the airport to get a taxi.....:rolleyes:

Back