Aer Lingus cancellation of flight

dymo

we had flights booked with aerlingus and had to cancel owing to me not being able to travel.

I had vhi insurance which refunded my money but would not refund the taxes of 78.15 each there was two of us they said aer lingus should do this.

I have contacted aer linguis on a lot of occasion with regard to this and finally after 51 days there was some money refunded to my credit card of 56.18 each so there is still 40 euro left.I rang aer lingus again today to be told that they take 20 € per person as an admin chanrge. I aksed them where in terms and conditions was this said but it no place they state there is an admin charge but no amount.

are aer lingus allowed to do this and should this have not been explained to me in there call center or at least in there email

It's pretty clearly listed here - http://www.aerlingus.com/help/help/feesfares/ (Look at the section "Refund Administration Fee")

Arguably you could ask VHI to refund this for you as your insurer .. they directed you to Aer Lingus to get a refund on what was refundable and their travel insurance covered the rest. Arguably they should cover you for anything you can't get refunded from Aer Lingus directly so you could at least try to ask them for this.

Not saying it's right or wrong but pretty much all airlines have a similar fee for refunds (usually only waived if there's some problem that caused flight disruption) so you won't get much mileage out of complaining to Aer Lingus.

Alternatively for 40 euro you might just think it's not worth the hassle as you got everything else back !

Back