Aer lingus ..Cabin crew strike

I'm not sure exactly but, every few months, it seems to me that Aer Lingus staff are being asked to give more and more for less and less. It never seems to stop...........

My understanding is that the running an airline is a competative business and that the staff have to work harder and lose some of their perks if Aer Lingus is to stay in business. Aer Lingus in my mind has also been associated with perks. Now they have to get real and become more like Ryanair, Virgin, Easyjet if Aer Lingus is to survive and they can't compete if their wage bill and staffing levels are higher.

In relation to the letter you posted it seemed like Impact, a union, were telling the staff when and how to work rather than Aer Lingus their employer.

Didn't understand the point about mealtimes. If you do two shifts to Paris in a day all of the time is not at work so they can have their lunchbreak then? Also I travelled Aer Lingus shorthall recently and the staff had brought their own packed lunch which they ate during the flight.

In relation to childcare. Surely by it's nature an air hostess job is not a 9 to 5 job nor can it be expected to be.

I also don't understand the transatlantic rest issue "Rest period after a transatlantic flight has been halved from 24 to just 12 hours; effectively meaning that crew can do an outbound flight to New York, for example, and then operate the return flight home to Dublin that same day". The first AL flight gets to NY at about 1pm and the last flight leaves before 10pm - that's a maximum 9 hour gap so if they are entitled to 12 hours rest, they can't be asked to work the same day anyway.

Would it be fair to say that as Aer Lingus have "taken on" the staff by hiring in other cabin crew and aircraft that they cant back down now?
Would it not be a case that if a company go that far that they have to see it through?

Would it be fair to say that as Aer Lingus have "taken on" the staff by hiring in other cabin crew and aircraft that they cant back down now?
Would it not be a case that if a company go that far that they have to see it through?

I think that the senior management want to break the union and if they can manage to get through this issue without backing down, they'll have done so.

The IBOA realised it no longer had the clout to throw its weight around once computerised bank processing came in and since then they have been more of a representative body than a powerful union.

To be honest, the terms and conditions of Aer Lingus look pretty good to me but, as with any job, it is the granting of priveleges and then removing them which people have an issue with. Same with the gardai getting their expenses removed. Yes, the expenses seemed generous but the big issue was that gardai had come to rely on them.

It looks like things are starting to take a turn for the worst. I was due to fly home from Hamburg on Thursday but got a text last night telling me that my flight was being cancelled due to the industrial dispute. I rang A.L to rebook to fly home on Friday and I was told that this flight would probably be cancelled too.

I think that the senior management want to break the union and if they can manage to get through this issue without backing down, they'll have done so

...and more power to them.

Regardless of the details of this dispute unions certainly need to be broken.

I think there has not been enough media coverage of the fact that the Siptu union cabin crew already agreed and work to the introduced changes. It's only Impact cabin crew refusing to.....and even at that some Impact members have backed down. So there isn't even a complete cabin crew stand on the issue......So of course management have the upper hand since the cabin crew ranks are already divided. I don't see how Impact cabin crew can win this argument without full support and with some members already caved in....

I reluctantly must agree that this is a dispute that Impact will struggle to win , I think that their only hope at this point in time is a referral to the Labour Court.

I would however be optimistic about the continuing influence of Unions as hopefully Labour will constitute a major proportion of the next Government and will hopefully garner sufficient seats to majorly influence policy.

Encouragingly FG themselves have committed to introducing legislation on collective bargaining rights of workers.

I would however be optimistic about the continuing influence of Unions

Whilst I realise that we would disagree fundamentally about their functional role in the Ireland of today, surely you don't think that the unions should have more influence - do you?

I think there has not been enough media coverage of the fact that the Siptu union cabin crew already agreed and work to the introduced changes.

You are right. I did not know this fact.
Why are two different unions representing different employees in the same grade?

You are right. I did not know this fact.
Why are two different unions representing different employees in the same grade?

Siptu I believe have about 15% of cabin crew so the majority are with Impact. But they are not united and it can't help Impact cabin crew's case if their colleagues signed up to it.

For the first time in my life I will consider voting FF in the upcoming general election

For the first time in my life I will consider voting FF in the upcoming general election

For the first time in 10 years I'm thinking of doing the same. (I couldn't vote for Bertie. Ever.)

Collective bargaining legislation will not be passed by FG. They simply came out with this with this idea during the Lisbon Treaty and has barely been mentioned since, if at all. There is no desire for it apart from the Trade Unions.