Aer Lingus baggage charge - €30 per bag?

muffin1973

Hi all,

Haven't flown with Aer Lingus since last year so don't know if this has been in situ for a while, but was booking flights to Spain there a couple of days ago and I'm being charged €30 per bag that I'm checking in?? Is this right? It's seriously bumping up the cost of a pretty short flight :(

M

I take it that it is €15 each way. Yes, they do charge that sort of money.

Herself and I are off to Spain soon, and we are limiting ourselves to one checked-in case. Many people are choosing to bring only cabin baggage for their trips.

I'm seriously considering going back on the ferry next year as all these hidden extra charges are really starting to get on my nerves

The allowance is 20kg a bag which at that price isn't bad. Providing you can manage on one bag?

If you go over that amount the extra charge is €12 a kilo.

Herself and I are off to Spain soon, and we are limiting ourselves to one checked-in case. Many people are choosing to bring only cabin baggage for their trips.

I know with Ryanair you can't do that now. If there are two people booked to travel, you can either check in two bags (ie one each) or none at all, and just have a carry on bag.

If you have seperate bookings, you can take one bag each. But a booking where theres two people, is either two bags or none at all.

Don't tell Aer Lingus! They have already adopted lots of Ryanair's techniques for screwing more out of passengers.

Hi all,

Haven't flown with Aer Lingus since last year so don't know if this has been in situ for a while, but was booking flights to Spain there a couple of days ago and I'm being charged €30 per bag that I'm checking in?? Is this right? It's seriously bumping up the cost of a pretty short flight :(

M

And 80euro for a bicycle for anybody interested.

Yes I read that about ryanair - it's ridiculous.

We just booked the flights this morning (aerlingus have a sale on today) and got about €100 off what we would have paid for the same flights yesterday. Crazy stuff. Also my husband has decided to just take a carry on bag while I've paid the €30 for my case return.

M

I know with Ryanair you can't do that now. If there are two people booked to travel, you can either check in two bags (ie one each) or none at all, and just have a carry on bag.

If you have seperate bookings, you can take one bag each. But a booking where theres two people, is either two bags or none at all.

I booked flights for my sister and her husband this morning on Ryanair, on the one booking, and it allowed me check in just one bag.

If you book Ryanair or Aer Arann, you only get 15kg allowance, they charge €8 per kg extra so that is another €40 to bring it up to other airlines, not much use if you have a connection flight for holidays etc.

Muffin1973, a couple of weeks ago we got flights to Marseilles with Aer Lingus for €193.55 all in. In their up to 50% off sale today (great word that up to) and same flights were coming in at €908.50 with the discount!

Where did you hear this - the Ryanair website booking section is still giving a choice of checking in 0 to 3 bags per passenger.

I will try and seek it out! I know I'm not imaging it because my OH came home from work and mentioned it too, he had seen it on some news site!

I'm not crazy... really..

I will try and seek it out! I know I'm not imaging it because my OH came home from work and mentioned it too, he had seen it on some news site!

I'm not crazy... really..

You sure :D. No I don't doubt your integrity - but even for O Leary this seems like a very very odd rule imo.

The annoying thing about AerLingus is that it's not as clear as on the RyanAir site when you begin.

They also MAKE you pay to select your seats on flights. I recently booked flights and paid for the flights as one part of the transaction. It advised from the outset that you 'could' select your seats when you had completed the transaction. However then I was presented with the screen to select seats, it wouldn't let me proceed without selecting and so I had to pay an extra €12 just for choosing seats!?

The flight price began as €0. Add on taxes, handling fees, baggage and seat selection and it came to €142 for a flight to the UK. They should have to make fees more obvious from the beginning. Ryanair and BMI are much clearer in their pricing. I won't book with AerLingus again but was so frustrated by the end of the process I just wanted to logoff and eat my dinner!

Also beaware that on Aerlingus you have to DESELECT if you don't want travel insurance. If you deselect it on your flight transaction, you have to do it a second time on your seat selection.

If you make an error (eg select wrong date etc) don't you have a cooling off period of a day or so where you can get back to them to have it corrected and they can't charge you?

Back