Spouse’s/Partner's age: 30

Annual gross income from employment or profession: 52K
Annual gross income of spouse: 0

Monthly take-home pay 3.2K

Type of employment: Researcher, contract

In general are you:
I am saving 1K per month

Not bought any house, so no mortgate

Other borrowings – House rent 1K every month.

Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month? Yes
If not, what is the balance on your credit card? NA

Savings and investments: 500 Euros per month into a PRSA (personal, one from the company)

Do you have a pension scheme? Not from the company, but my own pension scheme bought from BOI

Do you own any investment or other property? I have 45K in cash, some real-easte plots (worth 50K) back in my own country (developing world) and a parents house (worth 30K).

Ages of children: No children yet

Life insurance: I would like to take one, but confused with various options.

My question is I have 45K in cash which I would like to invest in mutual funds/index funds/ETFs. I thought vanguard life strategy 60 would be an ideal fit as it would give me the necessary diversification, risk vs reward, and low-cost fee. But after posting for the advise on the tax in the below thread, I was suggested to post my question in this forum for better advise.

Please let me know. I would like to buy a house in the next few years, but its not urgent.

I would like to buy a house in the next few years...
In that case, I think you should keep your after-tax savings in cash.

At your current income level, the biggest mortgage you could raise (without an exemption) would be €182k, so you will inevitably need a sizeable down payment.

At your age, you could reasonably keep your PRSA invested 100% in a global equity fund.

Thanks, Sarenco for your valuble suggestion. Also, I would like to maximise the possible pension contributions. With the cash, isn't it good to buy some bond ETFs (State or Corporate)??

Back