Advice re best arrangements when travelling

Joanneh

I am going abroad for an extended period of travel soon. My plan is to open up a current account with Ulsterbank to avail of the Visa Debit facility.

I would then keep all my travel funds in that account and use that card for booking accommodation etc over the net and in person, and accessing cash regularly.

I am an AIB/ PTSB customer at present. I know PTSB will have the same facility soon but that's not til Autumn as far as I can tell, and thats too late for me.

My questions are:
Does this seem the most sensible/ safe way to do it? Could my funds be compromised in anyway? My partner will have a card too so if one is stolen we will have the other one.

Should we be storing the bulk of of funds in another account and just transfer amounts into the UB current account as needed, so as to minimise the chances of someone draining our account via fraud?

Or would it just make more sense to get a credit card, keep it in credit, transfer funds in from a current account as needed?

Any advice appreciated.

I think you'll need the security of two cards. Credit cards are not as reliable as they used to be. Many companies have programmes which detect use they think is abnormal for you and automatically block further transactions. E.G they may think a purcahse in LHR duty free is normal but a purchase a few hours later in JNB or SIN abnormal. You may only realise a card has been blocked when you go to pay for e.g. a hotel bill. Personally I use a Visa card with a Click card as an emergency back up.

HI

i Joanneh, would love to know how you sorted yourself out for travelling!? any new ideas...?

Back