Advice on settlement cracks!

J

John81

Having just checked out the site and in new house for last 6 months - can't get over how many solutions I have come across on the site to problems I have encountered with putting in floors, moving sky dishes, tiling, etc. And thats just in last half hour!!

Anyway to test you guys out - while everyone has settlement cracks in a new house, a carpenter who was putting down the floors told me he had never seen settlement cracks in the internal doors. With the doors from the dining room to the living room there are panels in the doors that appear to have contracted and pulled away exposing the timber under the paint.

Is it something to bring up with the builder as an issue (who is to paint the other cracks in next few weeks) or a fault with the doors - only four dooors affected.

Also while I'm at it - hanging a large mirror (4ft X 3ft) on an internal (timber baton and plaster board) wall - brackets or .... ?

Appreciate any replies

The cracks in the doors you refer to are shrinkage cracks and are nothing to do with "settlement". The doors were possibly "damp" when painted and had a high moisture content and as the house was occupied and heated they returned to their intended lower moisture content. Touching up the panels with paint is the simple fix, you can try and get the builder to do it.

I spotted the same thing with our timber front door. It has 8 panels and as I walk down the hall towards the door I can see daylight between one of the panels and the surrounding timber. Lately it appears to have disappeared again.

Back