Advice on setting up in car sales

underpaid

Hi there, Im looking for information on setting up in car sales with regard to requirements to obtain a tan number, procedures to follow etc.
Really its the procedure that needs to be followed to set up efficintly, such as "is a tan number required straight away or can it be obtained at a later date i.e a few months later?"

I have bought and sold cars on a part time basis for the past 5 years or so and understand the instability of the market at present so no need to point that out. Recently my hour/wages have taken a hit to the extent that I feel I would be able to make a substantially better living in car sales.

So if anyone involved in the industry or has knowledge of the industry would like to point me in the right direction I would be greatly appreciated.I have made a number of contacts over the years, in Ireland, north and south, and in the uk and while the logical choice would be to speak to them I would prefer to have a basic understanding of the procedure before speaking to them.

Thank you all in advance.

I have made a number of contacts over the years, in Ireland, north and south, and in the uk ....

Nothing much to offer here ... only an idea .... what about setting up a 'sourcing' service?

Offer a service of sourcing a Northern Irl/UK import etc. for those who may have the desire to import but not the knowledge. Source parts ... etc.

You have the contacts ... why not use them?

Thanks Paddy, had thought about that before but wasnt sure if there would be a demand for it?

Just make sure that you register with the Revenue as early as possible as I know of a few "part time traders" such as Gardai & Teachers who failed to do so; When the Revenue caught up (& you WILL be reported!) it wasn't pretty! Its the same as renting property; Keep things straight with Revenue & it will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

You will need a tax clearance cert to obtain a TAN number. And you need a TAN number to trade.

Summary, you need this ASAP and it can take a few weeks to get.

Patrick

Thanks guys, keep it coming. Everything will be straight with the revenue, dont want any hassle from them boys.