Advice on Set Top boxes

MB05

Does any of you know if a box similar to this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goodmans-GDB12-Twin-Scart-Digital/dp/B0020XWR7O

will work as a freesat box?

I was also looking at one with a 160GB HDD recorder on it but I don't want to splash out on one up the north if it will only work with Freeview and not Freesat or cable (for recording on the HDD)

Does any of you know if a box similar to this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goodmans-GDB12-Twin-Scart-Digital/dp/B0020XWR7O

will work as a freesat box?

I was also looking at one with a 160GB HDD recorder on it but I don't want to splash out on one up the north if it will only work with Freeview and not Freesat or cable (for recording on the HDD)

That box is for cable and NOT Satellite.
You do know that "Freeview" is a cable service provided in the UK only and
that "Freesat" is a satellite based service available all over Ireland and the UK.

You need to make sure the stb you get is DVB-S/S2

DVB-T is the digital broadcast standard for digital terrestrial television

• Digital Terrestrial TV = DVB-T/T2
  • Digital Satellite TV = DVB-S/S2
  • Digital Cable TV = DVB-C/C2

Thanks everyone. The freesat box is something my sister was thinking about. Her new house had sky previously so she thought she might see if she could hook up freesat in the spare bedroom via the existing sat cable.

I don't know too much about it. I know freeview cannot be accessed here but I wasn't sure if the boxes were interchangeable. I just saw some advertised in the Argos clearance section & I was wondering if it was worth risking it. By the sounds of things I need to do some more research.

She took the HDD DVD recorder when she moved out and they all seem to be really expensive now so I stupidly thought I could buy this instead.

I don't have a satellite dish, just upc digital. I don't mind if the freeview part doesn't work. I just miss being able to record stuff to the HDD part.

Pudds, In my situation would a box with DVB-C/C2 be the way to go?

RMCF, thanks for the offer but as the HDD version was for me the freesat one wouldn't work in my house and my sister just wants the cheap one to put in the guest bedroom.

I don't have a satellite dish, just upc digital. I don't mind if the freeview part doesn't work. I just miss being able to record stuff to the HDD part.

Why dont you just change your UPC STB to the plus model which will allow you to record prgs. Not sure if UPC have a charge for this.

No other (generally speaking) STB other than the UPC box will work with your cable system.

Pudds, In my situation would a box with DVB-C/C2 be the way to go?

no for freesat you need Digital Satellite TV = DVB-S/S2

but be careful AFAIK
UPC won't enable boxes for you that you just acquired from someone else. They'll only let you use STBs supplied directly by them.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going up the north tomorrow but I think I am going to steer clear of the set top boxes.

UPC do have a HDD version of the stb but they charge €5 a month extra for it so I'd rather just buy one out right.

I guess it's back to the drawing board!

Thanks everyone. The freesat box is something my sister was thinking about. Her new house had sky previously so she thought she might see if she could hook up freesat in the spare bedroom via the existing sat cable. ....

You can set up freesat on a Sky box.

Back