Advice on roof for sunroom

CKT

Hi looking for a bit of advice on a sunroom, we have a deposit on a house at the minute (probably a bad time to sell our current house). The builder has given me the plans and has said that we can make any changes internally but none externally because the planning has been approved, he has said that we can build a sunroom at 40 squared meters without planning, at an extra cost!! At the minute there will only be 4 houses in the area, with a perfect view of the bay, but he said there will be more houses built behind us eventually, disrupting our view. We were thinking we could add the sunroom with a flat roof which we could use as a balcony to enjoy the view. Has anyone any experience with this??

Thanks

I believe you need planning permission to use a roof as a roof garden/ balcony type thing, we were originally thinking something similar...
I could be wrong, you should check the local county developement plan online...

I can confirm you will need planning if you are to use it for this purpose, also you can only build the sun room without planning if it is to the rear of the house.

But just because the house has planning it does not mean you cant alter it, if you dont mind the wait you can resubmit to make the changes.

I have been told here before by "syd the beat" that they cant revisit your original planning so if you want to make further chages it might be worth trying.

Syd is probably the man to advise you.

CKT,

micheller and jolly man are correct. you cannot use the flat roof of an extension as a balcony or roof garden without permission. This is not to say you cannot construct it as such though ie without direct door access onto it......

will the sunroom be built at the same time as the dwelling??

there is a possible issue then.
if it is being built at the same as the dwelling then its not an 'extension' by definition..... thus not exempt from planning.

However, consult with you architect / engineer on this and find out if he/she will sign it off..... sometimes they will, reason being that once its up whos to say whether its an extension or not....

The possible problem with this is it leaves an opportunity open to third party's objecting against this 'unauthorised' work and they may inform the LA enforcement section..... causing you to cease all work for 12 weeks minimum.....
this is all hypothetical of course, but it has happened to clients in my experience.

We were able to get written confirmation from the Coco that we could build the exempt extension along with the main house.

Back