Advice on Problem with Car Hire - Cartrawler/ Easycar Italia

sosulliv

I hired a car with Cartrawler (paid for and confirmed on 18th February) for pick up in Pisa airport last Friday. When I went to pick the car up from Easycar Italia they had a record of my booking but no car! I rang Cartrawler and they told me to rent another car at the airport and I would be reimbursed for both rentals because of the mistake. I asked them to send me an email confirming this arrangement. Luckily Avis were able to give me a car, though it was very expensive - 400 euro.

Wen I got the email it repeats that I will be reimbursed but says I have to contact Easycar Italia to lodge a complaint and they 'will investigate the case'. This sounds odd to me as my booking was with Cartrawler. My initial reaction is that it is up to them to reimburse me and pursue the matter with the supplier. I wonder if anyone has any advice or has had a similar issue?

Many thanks,
Sara

Hi Sara,
They probably need some sort of proof that you are not just making it up; for example was something put into the notes of the booking at the EasyCar desk, and did they collaborate with Avis to get your sorted. You will also have a receipt from the Avis desk to show a rental was made in your name on the same day, same airport for the same class car (i.e. you can't drive TWO cars!). all these things mean you are telling the truth, the rest is just a wait for the refund while they clear the transaction.

Thanks for that Paddy. Have sent them all the documents and they don't dispute what happened, just that they say it's not them who are responsible and I have to deal with their Italian supplier. Seems daft to me as I booked and paid them. Anyway said to give them 20 days to sort it out which I've done. Then I've told them my plan is to contact visa to arrange a chargeback (hopefully wont be too late for this) and pursue rest of amount via small claims court. Anyway will never use Cartrawler again that's for sure!

ah ok. Seems strange alright. As they are a broker though, its possible that its up to the Supplier to up-hold their end of the transaction (i.e. have the car you ordered!), which they clearly haven't. If cartrawler have paid the agent for the car then they need to get the money back.
I worked in a car-hire place when in college years ago, and to be honest I pity them, its absolutely thankless work; nearly every rental has some problem or other!

Its like Ryanair: when it works, it works well; when it fails, the wheels come off completely

EDIT: by the way, which website did you book it through? the brokers provide the booking technology to the websites, who in turn book the car with the Avis, Europcar or whomever. I've always found those websites cheaper than the rental agents own websites, but I guess you get what you pay for