Advice on new Digital SLR Camera

Gimme

Have any of you any recommendations on a good SLR digital camera for a 1st time user? I have about €1,300 to spend.

Gimme said:
Have any of you any recommendations on a good SLR digital camera for a 1st time user? I have about €1,300 to spend.

The best one on the market is the Canon 350D in your price range (do not buy in CONNS Cameras, an exceedingly appropriate name!) There is a good head to head review in Amateur Photographer current issue.

The best competitor is the Nikon D50 or D70 but for bangs per buck and I have used all 3 I prefer the Canon for size,performence build etc

Rip off Ireland price €999 in Conns Cameras [broken link removed]
Pixels Liffey St
http://www.pixels.ie/ €999

Don't be afraid to buy it online for €850, try here but you will find it cheaper

N.Solo

RainyDay said:
If you're a first time user, are you sure you really want/need an SLR?

RainyDay - I should have explained that I have a digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 775) and find it great for family pics but I have never had an SLR camera and would like one for taking pics of scenery and action pics at matches.

I suppose my query is around the best type, what to purchase (lens, additional kit, etc) or if anyone knows a photography/camera review webpage.

Any info. would be appreciated.

Gimme

I have been using a Panasonic DMC Fz20 for about a year now. Does everything I want, scenery, family, stunning night time shots, (I'm not a pro but a keen photographer). Looks like an SLR but is not. Costs about €400 now I guess. Couldnt recommend this camera enough.

I am a keen photographer and only bought a Nikon 35mm film SLR last December.

Due to the cost of developing photos, i took 360 photos on a 3day break, i decided to invest in a digital SLR. Also, it is too expensive to appreciate the subtle changes you made on the SLR, to optimise the photos.

I bought a Nikon D70 last week as it was on offer in a kit. The kit included a 1Gb card and a 18-50mm lens.
I bought the Nikon as I already own a Nikon and two lenses. 28-70 and 70-300mm. I dont regret it.
I took the digital camera last weekend to Austria and captured fantastic photos of the Alps. I was only using it as a point and shoot. I am looking forward to the challenge of optimising the photos.

I would highly rec this camera if you can get a kit to include a good lens.

But try the cameras out in store.
Have a list of questions ready and hopefully they will be able to advise.
Also, if you visit a local store with a camera and kit, check out the prices online- see if they can match the price!!!

Amateur Photograper has a review on all Digital SLRs (costing < €1,500) in the July issue. A collegue at work recentlty baught the Nikon D70 but I hear her complaining that a newer model - D70S - has been released. up to this she was very happy with the camera. She recently returned from the Lake District (England) and had hundreds (a lot) of good quality snaps.