Advice on new Digital SLR Camera

Gimme

Have any of you any recommendations on a good SLR digital camera for a 1st time user? I have about €1,300 to spend.

Gimme said:
Have any of you any recommendations on a good SLR digital camera for a 1st time user? I have about €1,300 to spend.

The best one on the market is the Canon 350D in your price range (do not buy in CONNS Cameras, an exceedingly appropriate name!) There is a good head to head review in Amateur Photographer current issue.

The best competitor is the Nikon D50 or D70 but for bangs per buck and I have used all 3 I prefer the Canon for size,performence build etc

Rip off Ireland price €999 in Conns Cameras [broken link removed]
Pixels Liffey St
http://www.pixels.ie/ €999

Don't be afraid to buy it online for €850, try here but you will find it cheaper

N.Solo

RainyDay said:
If you're a first time user, are you sure you really want/need an SLR?

RainyDay - I should have explained that I have a digital camera (Nikon Coolpix 775) and find it great for family pics but I have never had an SLR camera and would like one for taking pics of scenery and action pics at matches.

I suppose my query is around the best type, what to purchase (lens, additional kit, etc) or if anyone knows a photography/camera review webpage.

Any info. would be appreciated.

Gimme

I have been using a Panasonic DMC Fz20 for about a year now. Does everything I want, scenery, family, stunning night time shots, (I'm not a pro but a keen photographer). Looks like an SLR but is not. Costs about €400 now I guess. Couldnt recommend this camera enough.

I am a keen photographer and only bought a Nikon 35mm film SLR last December.

Due to the cost of developing photos, i took 360 photos on a 3day break, i decided to invest in a digital SLR. Also, it is too expensive to appreciate the subtle changes you made on the SLR, to optimise the photos.

I bought a Nikon D70 last week as it was on offer in a kit. The kit included a 1Gb card and a 18-50mm lens.
I bought the Nikon as I already own a Nikon and two lenses. 28-70 and 70-300mm. I dont regret it.
I took the digital camera last weekend to Austria and captured fantastic photos of the Alps. I was only using it as a point and shoot. I am looking forward to the challenge of optimising the photos.

I would highly rec this camera if you can get a kit to include a good lens.

But try the cameras out in store.
Have a list of questions ready and hopefully they will be able to advise.
Also, if you visit a local store with a camera and kit, check out the prices online- see if they can match the price!!!

Amateur Photograper has a review on all Digital SLRs (costing < €1,500) in the July issue. A collegue at work recentlty baught the Nikon D70 but I hear her complaining that a newer model - D70S - has been released. up to this she was very happy with the camera. She recently returned from the Lake District (England) and had hundreds (a lot) of good quality snaps.

Back