Advice on making a will and step children

M

murphy's law

I was wondering what would a step child who live abroad and whom we see 4 times a year be entitled to regarding a farm of land that I will inherit from my father.Basically I have 3 children with my husband and while I love his son too,and I feel that while he would be provided for at the same time why should he be entitled to what my father and his father before him slaved away on a small farm which was their pride and joy especially as my step son is not of my fathers family.When myself and my husband pass away, the house and what ever remains will be split between the children but even if my step son moves back, he more than likely not going to move down the country so his step brothers will either have to buy his out or sell it themselves in order for him to get his 'share'.Just wondering without sounding like the wicked step mother what should be done without causing any arguments.

Your step son has no entitlement to your estate, but he may have to his fathers, and his father will have at least a legal right share to your estate. Really you need to make an appointment with a solicitor to discuss the matter and you need to make a will.

I know what you are saying I think, What age was he when he became your Step Son, ie if he was say a 3 yr old than I would say he should have same amount as his half Siblings, say he was 15 yrs than maybe a token 5% for example , Do you see where I am coming from, might sound a bit like lenght of service in a job with regard to what you would get if let go. But if you went first a hubby is left say half your land then his son would be entiltled to a 1/3 of that if he passed away I think, but not sure, But for a peaceful home I think you need to chat to hubby, what had he got before he met you and what are his intentions in his will regarding your kids, ie would he leave his own child most of his cash,

Back