Advice on Majorca

hoopman

Hi everyone,
the wife and me and 3 kids 16,14, 7yrs off to calla bona in Majorca on saturday for 2weeks. We are staying in the aparthotel Isabel.
This is our first holiday to somewhere warm like Spain, and we would appreciate any advice on everything from what clothes to bring for day and night to what to expect when we get over there.
Aim to make this the best holiday ever no matter what, But I don't like surprises, so if I could know the pitfalls as well as good points, at least I'd be forewarned.
thanks in advance

Bikini, swimming shorts and the like with shorts and t-shirts for the day. Flip flops/sandals. long shorts/linen trousers with short sleeve shirt/blouse/top in the evening. Bring a lite fleece/cardigan/wrap just in case it is a wee bit nippy.
Bring and use lots of sun screen/moisturiser/after sun esp as it's your first sun holiday. Hats as well are great to cover your head in the sun. Drink plenty of water. Very important so as you don't get dehydrated.
If your going to be sitting around the pool most days the same shorts/t-shirt will do for throwing over the swim wear to get to/from the pool from your apartment. You will need your own sun towels. Usually towels are provided in apartment -check your brochure but these cannot be used at the pool or beach. A little blow up pillow the likes you use on planes are very handy when your lying out.
Lots of books/magazines/puzzle books/pack of cards/MP3 player.
I wouldn't bring too much cash as it's easy to take out money from the bank machines.Just check with your bank you can do this.

Have an absolutely fabulous time. I'm sure others will have some more tips.

Bottled water only. Its not good enough to boil the water and drink it then. I would recommend it for tea/coffee also. Don't take ice cubes while you are out having a drink and don't eat salad which has been washed in the local water. All to avoid tummy bug. Make ice cubes yourself out of bottled water. Usually the local pharmacists will be able to help if you need any medical advice.

If the tour operator holds a meet and greet meeting on your arrival its a good idea to attend to get all the advice on the local area. Don't rush into buying any of their prearranged outings as they can work out very expensive with commission charges added. Give yourself a few days and check out the local travel services yourself. We always found the local bus services to be much cheaper than taxis.

Hire a safe in the apartment/aparthotel. Reviews .

Hats to avoid sunstroke especally for the kids are a must. I found letting them swim with old t-shirts was the best option as shoulders can get badly burnt hopping in an out of water. Avoid 12 midday to 3oc as its the warmest time of the day.

You may get a few tips [broken link removed] for holidaying in the sun. Some others here.

Shout if you need any further advice but most importantly relax and enjoy.

Hi everyone, the wife and me and 3 kids 16,14, 7yrs off to calla bona in Majorca on saturday for 2weeks. We are staying in the aparthotel Isabel.

Myself, Mr. Happy and two kids stayed in the Isabel a couple of years ago. Cala bona lovely spot and must say the Isabel was very pleasant. It is about a ten min stroll to the main activities of Cala Bona. If it is Budget Travel you are going with their Rep will give you all the info you need at your "welcome meeting" the morning after you arrive there. I am sure all the other travel operators provide the same service, it's just that Budget is my only experience and I have always found them excellent for providing local information. I always bring a "dry" antibiotic with me for the kids. Thank god have never needed it but feel it a security blanket as kids can regularly get ear infections in the pool. As previously stated plenty of sun cream and I don't let kids take t-shirts off until after five in evening. Enjoy.

You should also consider getting a good guide book for the area. This is something we do wherever we go and have always found them very useful.

Lonely Planet etc is the type to look for; relatively expensive but worth it.

Thanks everyone for the advice, Its greatly appreciated.
2 more questions if I may.
What time does it get dark at in majorca this time of year. And what kind of Temps to expect at night.
and happy Girl do we need a perscription for the dry antibiotic or can it be bought over the counter

Thanks again everyone

Hi hoopman,

during the day it'll be very warm - prob abour 35 degrees. At night, it'll go down a good bit - to 20/25 degrees.

I'd second what the others have said for clothes.
Day : flipflops, shorts, t-shirts and swimming togs.
Night : light linen trousers, light tops, small cardie for if there is any chill in the air.

When by the pool or on the beach, I recommend lying under a parasol instead of out in the blazing sun - its much more comfortable, and you wont run the danger of getting burnt. Dont use a sun-cream factor less than 15. For your 7 year old, make sure he/she wears a t-shirt all the time, and a sun hat. If they dont want to wear the t-shirt in the water, slather them in factor 30 suncream - especially tops of shoulders, nose, ears etc.

For the food, there'll be loads of places with spanish food, and also loads of places with more familiar food. The menus will all be in english and all the waiters will speak english.

As others have said, its a really good idea to attend the welcome meeting, since the rep will give you lots of ideas on trips and things to do in the area.

Have a lovely holiday!
Ragazza.

Two things:

1. You may need air-conditioning at night especially with kiddies....has your accommodation got it or can you rent a unit from them?

2. Sun cream stains and impossible to get out of tee-shirts (water prrofed and all that) so bring cheap shirts for the kids adn yourselves for throwing on around the pool

Two things:

1. You may need air-conditioning at night especially with kiddies....has your accommodation got it or can you rent a unit from them?

2. Sun cream stains and impossible to get out of tee-shirts (water prrofed and all that) so bring cheap shirts for the kids adn yourselves for throwing on around the pool

brochuer says that its fully air conditioned from 15/6 to 15/9 and operates as a centrally controlled system at certain hours only. What ever that means. thanks for the advice on the tee shirts

and happy Girl do we need a perscription for the dry antibiotic or can it be bought over the counterThanks again everyone

Yes you will need perscription. Just go to your local GP and tell him you want to take antibiotic with you for peace of mind. I never had any probs with my own GP. Just make sure when you hand in your perscription in the chemist to tell them that you want it "dry" and not mixed.

On the air con issue, the Isabel air conditioning system was great when we were there. Yes centrally controlled means that you cannot up or down the temperature. You can however turn it off yourself.

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

I'm in Majorca at the moment weather is brill, it's consitently in the 30's during the day and mid to lo 20's at night.

I'm in a different resort from were your going but itś only just up the road.

When you hit Palma airport it might be an idea to get a couple of bottles of water before you get on the bus as it will be about an hour of a transfer.

There's 3 adults and 2 kids in our party and dinner is ranging from about 60-80Euro per night.

Sun cream is cheaper over here so you might just want to get a bit at home, also if you want to get some shopping don't go to the local corner shop find an eroskyi(think thats how it) much cheaper for everything.

One example of the corner shop was €3.20 for 5 litres of water and it was 80 cent in the Erosky, there are plenty of them about.

Enjoy the hols.

Back