Advice on how long to Fix an Ulster Bank Mortgage

myate

As much as I'd love to switch, not going to be possible most due to being self employed & you know 2020 was a disaster, so I won't have 'normal' 2021 books until towards the end of 2022 to show any potential lender. So we're stuck with UB...which wouldn't normally be a problem as their rates are ok.
I'm on a fixed rate until end December so my options right now (<60% LTV) that I'm leaning to are either 5 years at 2.35% or 10 years at 2.80%. Over the 5 years difference between the two options it would be €3000 more with 10 year fix. Normally I would just go for the 5 years, but obviously with UB leaving, that's the big conundrum! I've looked at PTSB mortgage rates for existing customers, and the lowest right now that they have is 3 years fixed at 2.95% - is that correct? I know it's hard to know what will happen rates in the future, but any advice would be much helpful before we have to decide which rate to go with. Thanks!

2.8% is just too high.
Looks like 5 years at 2.35% is about right.

ptsb exploit their existing customers with very high rates while attracting new customers with cash back, and sometimes, lower rates.

You should try to be in a position to switch as soon as possible.

It's quite possible that you will be able to break out of the 5 year fixed rate with a low or no break fee.

Brendan