Advice on hiring a cleaner.

billy-bob

I've finally decided that I'm a busy career-oriented naughties kinda guy and cleaning isn't really my forte, so I want to get a cleaner, but I have some questions:

How do I find a cleaner? I figure the best way to get one is the local shop board or word of mouth (word of mouth is out, I'm pretty new in the area). Yellow Pages would be a last resort. What about those flyers you sometimes get through the door for cleaners?

Should I be asking for references or anything like that? I don't want any old scobe turning up with a dustpan and claiming he'll keep my house clean. On the other hand, I can't imagine many cleaners need or get references. I don't know.

What's the deal with keys and alarms? The house will be empty, and again, I guess it comes down to trust. Would I just give them a key and leave the alarm off the day they're coming around?

What's the going rate these days? I'm in Cork, but I can't imagine it differs that much around the country. Just to be sure I'm not getting ripped off.

Hi,

We got a cleaner three months ago and I wouldn't be without her!! She comes for 2 hours a week and cleans the bathrooms, kitchen, dining, utility, sitting room, hoovers and mops floors - cleans out fire. In the kitchen one week she might clean out the fridge, the next the oven. She charges 10 euro an hour. She was recommended by word of mouth. She charges 10 Euro an hour and it's the best 20 euro I've ever spent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cyrstal, did you ask for references? How did you find her? Do you leave her alone in your house? Does she have her own key and the alarm code?

Billy Bob,

Luckily she came highly recommended from a family member, so I didnt need to ask for references. Sometimes I am in the house when she is there, but if I have to leave, she locks up and posts the key back through the letter box (I wouldnt like the idea of anyone else having a key to my house!). Having said that, I have bult up a trust with her and wouldnt mind leaving the key with her now.

Hi Cyrstal,

Im currently looking for a cleaner in the south dublin area. You wouldnt be able to get her number for me would you?

Regards
P

I What about those flyers you sometimes get through the door for cleaners?

I responded to one of those flyers from Europa Plus and have been using them ever since - maybe they operate in the Cork area also.

All cleaners are insured, fully vetted and trained to hotel standard...supervisors introduce ur cleaners with a free estimation visit ....references available... etc etc (quote)

The number I have is 01 6689768 or email info@europlus.ie

I petsit for people around dublin and have built up a good deal of regular clients over the last while. Im always amazed when people dont ask for references and if they do..sometimes dont follow up on them..you're giving the key to your house and all your possessions crazy!!. The people who took me on with no references are now my references for when new people ask and i actually offer them up front before people ask. I have keys for numerous peoples houses and i treat them like they belong to my house..i.e dont fling them around the place! I wouldnt take any one on as a cleaner unless they have references..preferably at least 3..and do check them out!! If you go with an agency, make sure you keep to the same person if possible the whole time, i wouldnt be keen on having a randomer every other week in my place! Id expect to pay no more than €10-15/hour!

We have been looking for a cleaner in South Dublin too for 2/3hrs per wk... haven't been able to find anyone by word of mouth unfortunately that does this area. So i have been ringing around agencies and it seems the going rate is €15-17 per hour. I guess with an agency it's always going to be more. The agencies check refs which is reassuring and have offered to show us the refs. Not sure who to go with... any recommendations welcome! Some websites of interest - [broken link removed] , [broken link removed]

Thanks Fajita, I've checked out those two companies as well. I was hoping to spend around €10-€12 an hour. Have you tried looking at www.gumtree.ie ? Ive just emailed a couple of people on there in regards to house cleaning. Not sure if you've also tried www.pristine.ie ?

Hi
I know it is a long time ago but am looking for reliable cleaner in south dublin city - would your person suit - if so could you pm her contact details to me?

Hey Cyrstal! Would it be possible to get the details for your cleaner too? Thanks!