Advice on getting a Polytunnel

Brigid

Hi, i am exploring the idea acquiring a Polytunnel. We are in the Cork area. I saw some crowd saying that their types can be expanded. Does anyone know whether in practice this might work and does anyone have any people they'd recommend over another supplier? Many thanks.

I’d recommend Polydome in County Offaly. In terms of customer service I found them very helpful:
6 years ago I needed to replace about 20 panes of greenhouse glass, of different shapes and sizes. And also some hardware. It was a messy order and I was concerned that it wouldn’t be fulfilled correctly.
I emailed them the relevant pages and parts list from the Eden Hall greenhouse specification. They were very helpful and fulfilled my order promptly and without error.
I can’t comment on their polytunnels but if I was the market for one myself, Polydome would be my starting point.

Hi Brigid,
Polytunnels are relatively straight forward structures. You've a number of metal 'hoops' connected together. The hoop determines the width and height. The number of them determines the length.

If you want to make your tunnel longer, you add more hoops, so they can be extended. However, extending an existing tunnel will require replacing the plastic covering which isn't cheap.

The bit you can't change is the size of the hoops, so you're stuck with the width & height. I'd look carefully at that. If you've a narrow tunnel where the sides don't go vertical enough, you really won't have the height for growing tomatoes properly.

What are you planning to grow, and have you had a greenhouse in the past? What kind of space have you got, and how exposed is the site?

There are lots of gardening blogs / forums, particularly in the UK that will give you really good advice with planning layouts, crop rotation, etc.

I'd say whatever size you think you'd like, get bigger! Proper doors will add to the costs, and aren't included in brochure costs of some suppliers.

If possible, visit a garden of someone who uses their tunnel a lot, and you'll pick up lots of advice.

I've 2 separate polytunnels which make it somewhat possible to have different conditions in each, and would go with that rather than extending an existing tunnel.

If you're a DIY type person, you will pick up 2nd hand frames cheaply enough.

D Plant in Wexford have an excellent reputation, and a wide range.
I use Clonmel Plastics for replacement coverings.

A great book about polytunnels is “The Polytunnel Book” by Joyce Russell. She’s an English woman living in County Cork. It was first published about a decade ago and is available in the libraries.

The Seed Savers in County Clare and The Organic Centre in County Leitrim have wonderful polytunnels. Both organisations have open days once a year, though these have probably been cancelled this year.
Prior to visiting The Organic Centre I’d always assumed a Polytunnel was just a greenhouse made out of plastic rather than glass. But after hearing a short talk I realised it’s much more than that.

If memory serves one, if not both, of them also hold Polytunnel courses. But again, 2020 may be different.

[broken link removed]

How often do you need to replace the plastic?
It really depends on the quality of the plastic, how well it's fitted, and weather conditions. I got 15+ years out of one of mine. And then it got destroyed by snow banking up on it 2 years after replacing. I've had problems in the past with vermin eating holes (the price you pay for growing sweetcorn!).
I'd have to dig out the details, but I buy one of the higher grade plastics. It has a 6 or 7 year UV guarantee.

Back